9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2009 7:34 AM by comment_1

Invoice and receipt

sly_1

Title

Invoice and receipt

I want to create an invoice database with a receipt database. To be honest I have no idea how to even do this.

Example.

invoice # 00001 I would like it to be able to match to a receipt and have the invoice and receipt to match.

thanx a bunch

Sly 

• 1. Re: Invoice and receipt
          ninja

Howdy sly,

Sounds like you want two related tables, one for Invoice and the other for receipt.

Your invoice# can be an autoenter serial and be the key field.

If you want to control the Invoice number for any reason, do not use it as a key field, use another key field which is autoenter serial.

The related table "Receipts" can then access any of the info needed from the Invoice table.

Look into related tables through the help sections in FMP.

• 2. Re: Invoice and receipt
            sly_1

thanx will have a look ninja,

Not to sure what you are talking about but will give it a shot.

• 3. Re: Invoice and receipt
              ninja

Howdy sly,

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, either I type confusingly (been known to happen), or you would get good benefit out of this source too...

http://www.foundationdbs.com/Downloads/WhitePaperForFMPNovices.pdf

This is a good intro/overview of many aspects of FMP.  It is worth the read.

Enjoy the day!

• 4. Re: Invoice and receipt
                comment_1

slyomega wrote:

I want to create an invoice database with a receipt database. To be honest I have no idea how to even do this.

The first two questions you should ask yourself:

1. Will an invoice ever have more than one receipt?

2. Can a receipt ever refer to more than one invoice?

• 5. Re: Invoice and receipt
                  sly_1

1 invoice =  1 receipt

thats it

Sly

• 6. Re: Invoice and receipt
                    LaRetta_1

slyomega wrote:

1 invoice =  1 receipt

Do you mean one payment?  Are you sure? Just to play devil's advocate ... what if someone pays with check and the check bounces.  The proper accounting way to track this returned check is to enter the payment again as a debit (prior would be a credit against the invoice).  You would also then want to add a line for an NSF check charge.  Then when the customer pays again (hopefully with good check, smile), you would have another credit for the invoice plus NSF.  Many people assume only one payment and there are sometimes adjustments which can come in against the invoice, ie, customer complains about damage to package and the owner discounts.

Just some things to think about ...

• 7. Re: Invoice and receipt
                      LaRetta_1
                         Also consider, what if an adult daughter orders and her mother orders.  You will have two separate orders (or should) and/or they say they want separate invoices.  But what if daughter says she'll write the check for both?  I think it always best to plan for these types of situations.  So I would answer YES both questions by Comment unless you are absolutely positive that now, or in the future, there will never be these possibilities.
                      • 8. Re: Invoice and receipt
                        sly_1

good point laretta.

I just need a good solid way of doing this. I really like bum check idea as a debit.

Like i said i need all the help i can with this one. so all the help and design help is all greatly appreciated

so how would i design this and make it functional as you stated

sly

• 9. Re: Invoice and receipt
                          comment_1
                             If it's ALWAYS one invoice to one receipt, then you don't really need a separate Receipts table*. You can simply add the receipt fields to the Invoices table. If you prefer, you can show these in a separate layout.

You may consider a separate table for the payments, though: if, for example, customer pays by two checks, or part credit, part cash, you need room to record these details.

----
                          (*) unless your tax authorities require consecutive numbering for the receipts.