7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2012 6:20 AM by philmodjunk

Invoice database

MartijnDeVré

Title

Invoice database

I am building a invoice database in filemaker pro 12. I made a invoice layout with  adres fields from a related table. I also made a input portal with input fields related to a table.

In the portal row i  made a button to delete the portal row.

The problem:

When i create a new record in the invoice layout ( a new invoice) everithing works fine. But when i create a new record ( invoice) and go back to the previos record to erase a portal row, it will erase all the portal rows. And its not possible to change the adres vields. 

I hope someone can help me with this problem.

• 1. Re: Invoice database
          philmodjunk

What relationship have you created linking the invoices table to the table of address fields?

How do you create a new record in the portal? by clicking a button or can you just enter text into a field in the blank row of the portal?

What exact method does your button use to delete the portal row. Does it perform a script or just specify the delete portal row step?

• 2. Re: Invoice database
            MartijnDeVré

The relationship between the invoice table and the adress table of the adressfield is equal.

Yes i create a new record in the portal by entering text into a blank field in the row of the portal.

And for the delete button i just select delete portal row in the button setup. No script.

• 3. Re: Invoice database
              philmodjunk

between the invoice table and the adress table of the adressfield is equal

equal, but matching to what fields in each table? Any additional options specified in the relationship? (any check boxes selected when you double click the reelationship line to open the "edit relationship" dialog box? (it sounds like "allow creation of records..." is selected. I'm wondring if you've selected any check boxes in there that are labeled 'delete' and if so, for which tables?)

When you click the delet portal row button do you get a dialog box appearing that asks you to confirm that you want to delete a record? If so, what is the exact wording in that message?

• 4. Re: Invoice database
                MartijnDeVré

Are you sure Delete the related record?

• 5. Re: Invoice database
                  MartijnDeVré
                  /files/2448d6c2ea/Schermafbeelding_2012-07-25_om_13.12.50.png 778x627
                  • 6. Re: Invoice database
                    MartijnDeVré
                    /files/1d7c98ea66/Schermafbeelding_2012-07-25_om_13.13.13.png 1027x575
                    • 7. Re: Invoice database
                      philmodjunk

Sorry, but I speak only English so much of what you just posted is meaningless to me.

One part puzzles me. You said:

Yes i create a new record in the portal by entering text into a blank field in the row of the portal.

Yet the "allow creation of records via this relationship" is not shown as selected in your screen shot. Unless that option is selected, you cann't create a new record in the portal by entering text into a blank field in the row of the portal, you can only edit an existing record.

Let's check a few details:

Enter layout mode and open Layout setup. Do you see "Factuur" selected in the "Show Records From" drop down list? Then check the text listed in the lower left corner of the portal. Does it read "Klanten"?

Now click on each field in your portal and check what is shown in the "display data from" box on the data tab of the inspector. Do they all show "Klanten::" as the first part of the text listed or does the field where you are entering text to create a new record in the portal show "Facturr::"?