1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 12:53 PM by philmodjunk

Invoice Numbers Are Off After Deleting an Invoice

MonikaBurns

Title

Invoice Numbers Are Off After Deleting an Invoice

I accidentally deleted an invoice and now the automatic invoice number that is entered when I create a new invoice is off, its always one number greater than it should be. Example, I created a new invoice today that should have been 20019, but it came up as 20020. Now of course I can edit it manually, but if someone goes to create an invoice that isn't aware of the issue then it can create a problem. Is there a way to fix it?

• 1. Re: Invoice Numbers Are Off After Deleting an Invoice
          philmodjunk

Don't delete invoices. That's not a joke. For auditing purposes, you don't want a "gap" in your invoice number series and the typical way to handle this is to "void" an invoice rather than delete it. You can open Manage | database | fields and check the field options for your invoice number field. Most likely it is an auto-entered serial number field and you can adjust the "next serial value" setting.

But note that any related records base on a relationship that matches by invoice number will no longer be linked to an invoice if you change the invoice number.