3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 8:15 AM by JayHall

Invoice Sample Database - Sales Tax calculation

JayHall

Title

Invoice Sample Database - Sales Tax calculation

Hello FM Pro Support,

I am new to Filemaker and I was using the INVOICE sample database project and added some product sample data and noticed that after so many products (45 items) the sales tax was not being automatically calculated anymore and I have not modified any calculation.

The default calculation for Sales Tax in the invoice layout is this:

If ( (Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) - (Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) * Discount Rate))  ≥ 1 ; Round((Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) - (Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) * Discount Rate)) * Sales Tax Rate; 2) ; 0)

Can you let me know what I am missing?  Or is there an alternative way to calculate the Sales Tax calculation?  I like using the button on the invoice layout "Taxable" checkbox to determine taxable items.  I notice is doesn't seem to be working?  How do I get it to work?

Another question is that on the Products layout wether I select the check box "Taxable" doesn't seem to impact or affect the line items Taxable check box in invoice layout.  Is this the way it should behave?

Thanks for you help

Jay

• 1. Re: Invoice Sample Database - Sales Tax calculation
          philmodjunk

I think you've spotted the key symptom: "wether I select the check box "Taxable" doesn't seem to impact or affect the line items Taxable check box in invoice layout."

The taxable field in line items uses a looked up value field option to copy the value of Taxable from Products for each new record. Editing the taxable field in Products will not affect existing line item records. So if new line items records are not copying this field over or are copying the wrong value, then your sales tax calculation will fail to compute sales tax.

Have you made any design changes to your database that might have affected this?

Check field options for the taxable field in LineItems and make sure it has a valid looked up value setting. Make sure you haven't changed the value entered in the taxable field in Products unless you've checked and made any corresponding updates to the taxable amount field in Line Items.

• 2. Re: Invoice Sample Database - Sales Tax calculation
            JimDamico

In sample invoice ... how do you have the "taxable" box alway checked as a default?  Have every entry taxable?  thanks 

• 3. Re: Invoice Sample Database - Sales Tax calculation
              JayHall

Phils answer is excellent and I might add my comment.

You should also check the inspector to see if the settings for that check box are correct.  Here are my settings for that check box:

Display Data From: Line Items Invoice::Taxable

Control Style: Checkbot set

Values from: Boolean - "1"

Feild entry: Browse Mode checked, Select entire contents on entry checked

Go to next object - all selected except last one for spelling

Data Formatting = number - as entered