Company 1             02

Company 1             03

Company 2             01

Company 2             02

Company 3             01

Company 3             02

Company 3             03

Company 3             04

So Reference Serial numbers would be unique according to company name.  

• 1. Re: Invoice Serial Number sorted by companies
          easyway

Within each company reference do you need the serial numbers to be consecutive or does it not matter as long as they are unique? If not then you can allocate each company a code in a new field, for example AB, AC or whatever, then set a field for serial number to auto fill with a consecutive number. Then create a calculation field to concatenate the fields as follows: Code & Serial number with the result being text. This would the be your unique reference.This would give results as follows:

Company AB Serial number 10001 gives unique ID AB10001

Compant BC Serial number 10002 gives unique ID BC10002 and so on

So each company company reference has a serial number beginning with its own code

Hope this helps

• 2. Re: Invoice Serial Number sorted by companies
            philmodjunk

What is the purpose of this numbering system? Any company that I've worked with would have trouble with this numbering system so I am wondering how/why you will use it. For auditing purposes, each invoice needs a unique serial number and you generally do not want any "gaps" in that sequence.

If you just want a running count of how many invoices have been issued to each customer, there are much easier ways to do that.

But such a numbering system is possible--though you can't and shouldn't use this field as a match field in relationships.

• 3. Re: Invoice Serial Number sorted by companies
              AA

Hello guys, thanks for the help.

So the purpose is that not to see how busy my company is. (just started).

as reference shows the company name and how many invoices already sent to the company. that is why I would like to find a solution to count the number of issued invoices. The invoice serial number would not be printed.

Do you have any idea?  

• 4. Re: Invoice Serial Number sorted by companies
                philmodjunk

Yes, but you do not need this field or this serial number to do that.

There are quite a few different ways to count all the invoice records issued to a given company that do not require this serial number field.

Just a sampling of a few methods:

1.           Perform a find for all invoices issued to company A. Get ( FoundSet) will produce a "count" of all invoices issued to that company. A "count of" summary field can be set up to show the same count.
                3.           Sort your invoice records to group them by company. The just mentioned "count of" summary field can be placed in a sub summary layout part to show the number of invoices issued to each company. The individual invoice records need not be listed in such a report.
                5.           If you set up a table of companies linked to your table of invoices, A Count() function in the companies table or a the "count of" summary field from invoices can be used on a companies layout to show how many invoices have been issued to each.
                7.           ExecuteSQL can count the number of invoices issued to a single company, all companies or produce sub totals for each company based on additional criteria spelled out in a WHERE clause.
                • 5. Re: Invoice Serial Number sorted by companies
                  easyway

To count the number of invoices issued you can create a Summary Field, Count Of,then show a list of issued invoices, either by company or total, and the summary field will show you the result

• 6. Re: Invoice Serial Number sorted by companies
                    AA

Thanks for your help!

So what I really want is to sort invoices according to companies without creating tables for each one.

for example.

ID       Client      Issued Invoice

01       Jack       01

02       Jack       02

03       Tom       01

04       Jack       03

05       Tom       02

06        Sam      01 ... like this

How is it possible? Is it possible?

• 7. Re: Invoice Serial Number sorted by companies
                      philmodjunk

You would not create a table for each company. You might choose, however to create a table of companies with one record for each company linked to your table of invoices.

That could be used to produce the list shown.

A summary report with a summary field placed in sub summary layout parts, as described in an earlier post can also produce such a list. Here's a tutorial on summary reports: Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial