4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2010 5:52 PM by scmcus

Invoice table issue

scmcus

Title

Invoice table issue

I'm using the Invoices table that comes installed with Filemaker Pro 11.  I've created seven inventory parts in products table.  When I create an invoice and select a Product ID only three parts display as available to choose from.  The seven parts use three different Product Names - should the the key be the Product ID not the Product Name?

• 1. Re: Invoice table issue
          philmodjunk

Yes

• 2. Re: Invoice table issue
            scmcus

Thanks - so shouldn't there be all the parts available for display?  Any ideas why this would not work properly?

• 3. Re: Invoice table issue
              philmodjunk

I haven't taken a look at the Invoices template that comes with filemaker, but you said in your first post:

"When I create an invoice and select a Product ID only three parts display as available to choose from.  The seven parts use three different Product Names."

I suspect that if you gave each product a unique name, you see seven items listed instead of three. I'm guessing here that the value list is set up to reference values in two columns with the first column hidden or it is sorting values based on the 2nd, product name, column.

Either approach will not display multiple instances of the same product name. You'll either have to change your value list settings to show both columns, sort on column 1 or give each product a unque product name.

From my perspective, it really doesn't make sense to give different products the same name, so I'd give them different names and set a validation rule on that field to enforce unique values only.

• 4. Re: Invoice table issue
                scmcus

Thanks Phil.  I'll take that advice.

Scott