5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 10:13 AM by philmodjunk

invoice template as a stock system

bencuervo

Title

invoice template as a stock system

well hello i have what i hope is a simple question - and i have been searching but cant find the answer i need so hoping someone can help! - i havw a cloting bussiness and need a new stock system that i can create invoices from and the nummbers what i put on the inovice is subtracted from the amout of stock of that product, i have started with the invoice template - and this seems to be correct as you can have a list of products and also easly create invoices - 

the problems i have are - i create a a new record in the product section - and set an amout in"stock " eg 100 jeans 

i then create an invoive - i pick the product style from a drop down box on the invoice fine then put in a quantity say 50 jeans - what i need is that 50 to be taken fron the product part of the data base - hope that makes sense

the second problem i have is say i have created a product record for jeans i need to be able to have on thatrecord the option to have small medium large and extra large of the same product  - and each size to have a diffrent stock level 

this will link back to my first problem say i make an invoice for 5 small jeans 10 medium 10 large 2 extra large in need it to take that amout from the part that shows how many in stock! 

sorry fo the essay i really hope someone can help - thanks in advance ben

• 1. Re: invoice template as a stock system
          philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using? The starter solutions for versions 11 and 12 are quite different, so I need to know the version before I suggest a full answer.

i need to be able to have on thatrecord the option to have small medium large and extra large of the same product  - and each size to have a diffrent stock level

I strongly suggest you have separate records for each product's size. Trying to track stock levels for each size for a given product from a single product record will be very difficult.

• 2. Re: invoice template as a stock system
            bencuervo

im using 12 pro thanks mate 

• 3. Re: invoice template as a stock system
              philmodjunk

Each starter solution is a separate, independent solution that does not share data with any of the others. I think you can find and download a merged version produced by the same folks that set these up for Filemaker Inc., but I don't know the link for it...

Take a look at the Inventory starter solution and study how the Stock Transactions log works. If you receive a shipment of 20 "acme widgits", you create a new record in this table, put 20 in the "units In" field and Select "acme widgits" from a drop down. If you sell 5, you create a new record and put 5 in the Items Out field with "acme widgits" selected.

Here's the key thougth I am headed towards: You can modify the InvoiceData table in Invoices (what we used to call the "line Items" table), to also serve as your stock transactions table. The Qty field in InvoiceData can serve the same purpose as "Units Out" in Stock Transactions in the other file. You can then add a field for "Units In" and set up an additional layout based on Invoice Data for logging any non-sales stock transactions. When Items are sold, they will automatically appear on this new layout without the need to enter them twice.

Additional fields you can add to InvoiceData:

cBal (Units In - Qty )
                   sBalanceRunning (Summary, Total of cBal, restart totals when grouped by ITEM ID MATCH FIELD)
                   sBalance (Summary, total of cBal)

You can then set up that new layout to look like a typical bookkeeping ledger where you can both log new stock transactions and (if you keep your records sorted by Item Itd), also see both the current inventory levels for each item and how these levels change over time. This allows you to adjust the frequency and quantities of your restocking orders such as increasing the rate/qty re-ordered for an item that you notice has a stock level that is frequently close to zero.

• 4. Re: invoice template as a stock system
                bencuervo

okay thanks very much - but on the filmaker pro 12 in the invoice template it has a part for products - where you put in quantities and info - surely theres a way to do what i was asking about if the template does invoices and products?

• 5. Re: invoice template as a stock system
                  philmodjunk

I am recommending against doing it that way as that approach is problematic--it's easy for the counts in products to get "out of synch" from what is actually in inventory.

You, of course, are not required to follow my advice. wink