2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2011 7:58 PM by LisaRadosta

Invoices starter solution: Entire list not appearing in drop down menu

LisaRadosta

Title

Invoices starter solution: Entire list not appearing in drop down menu

Hello,

I am using the invoices starter solution in Filemaker Pro. 

All of the products have a Product ID as outlined in the starter solution. They appear in the browse view on the Products screen. 

In invoices, when the user clicks in the Product ID box, only about 10 items show up on the drop down menu for that box (70 records total). There are 1-2 of each item. 

I have gone through the forum and also my user guide. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance. 

Lisa

• 1. Re: Invoices starter solution: Entire list not appearing in drop down menu
          philmodjunk

There are 1-2 of each item.

I think that's the key clue here. Each product in the products table must have a unique product name. If you have two records in products with identical names, only one of the two will appear in the drop down list.

This is due to the value list being sorted by the second field--in this case the product name field in products. When you set a value list to either show only values from the 2nd field or sort by the values in the 2nd field, duplicate values in this 2nd field are omitted from the list.

Would this explain what you are seeing?

If so, the best solution is to eliminate the duplicate product names from your products table or come up with a different field in products to use as the second field in this drop down list. Having two or more products listed with identical names but different numbers makes it very hard for the user to select the correct produrct anyway...

• 2. Re: Invoices starter solution: Entire list not appearing in drop down menu
            LisaRadosta

Well, of course you are correct. 

I added the description into the product name and viola-perfect. 

Thank you for answering! Your answers are very helpful and you are always quick to respond.