3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2012 11:10 PM by philmodjunk

Invoicing with sub-parts?

vahorsevet

Title

Invoicing with sub-parts?

I am trying to create an invoice that has sub-parts. In the main or top section, the client/customer information is entered along with services/products to be billed directly or globally to the customer. The sub-parts involve different 'projects' billed to the same client itemized with services and/or products in the same time period or on the same day. There could be from one to multiple sub-parts (10 or more projects). What approach would be the best way to handle this idea? I have accomplished the main or top part already, but trying to bring in  the first project sub-part that calls on the same services and or products table information does not work using my invoice-portal method with appropriate join table to services or to products, when placed on the same invoice layout. Sub-summary parttions do not work either. I have done this previously by a non-portal method and without using join tables, but it was a long involved process with repetitive fields and much scripting. Was hoping to find a better way!

• 1. Re: Invoicing with sub-parts?
          philmodjunk

There's more than one way to do this depending on how you want to structure your user interface--and one method does not use a portal, but instead uses a list view layout based on subParts with sub summary parts that group the sub parts by Project. A master-detail pair of portals can also be used. In that interface, portal 1 lists all projects. Portal 2 lists the sub parts of the currently clicked project. You can also use a single sorted portal where you specify the project in one column and select the item in the next column. Sorting in the portal sorts first by project to keep the sub parts grouped by project.

All of these methods except the last work from this system of relationships:

Clients----<Invoices----<Projects-----<Subparts

• 2. Re: Invoicing with sub-parts?
            vahorsevet

PhilModJunk wrote:

"and one method does not use a portal, but instead uses a list view layout based on subParts with sub summary parts that group the sub parts by Project."

Can you direct me to a solution, template or example that I can look at?

WBL

• 3. Re: Invoicing with sub-parts?
              philmodjunk

Unfortunately not. I worked with another forum member with the same need so know it can be done but don't have a specific demo file or tutorial. It's a bit unusual as you use a summary report for data entry instead of your report. The trick is to use a global variable and an auto-enter calcualtion so that each new line item record gets the same InvoiceID even though you are creating the records without a portal.