8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2013 5:57 AM by philmodjunk

ipad input and pictures

fluffyone

Title

ipad input and pictures

Hi I have filemaker 10 and 11 and filemaker go and I want to set up a product database where the products will be entered on an ipad which uses the database on another computer on my network and in the ideal world I would like to add a picture of the product to each file, can I ask:

- does storing pictures in a database cause any issues other than space requirements on the hard drive?

- I would like to push a button and take a picture with the ipad and it fill the picture field on the database which is actually on another computer. will this work?

regards Fluffy

• 1. Re: ipad input and pictures
          philmodjunk

Hope you have the correct version of FileMaker Go or it will not be compatible with FileMaker 10 and 11 database files. FileMaker has announced that they will not continue to support FileMaker Go for FileMaker 11 so caveat emptor...

You won't be able to use a simple button click to capture a picture. You'll need to have a layout where the user can tap the container field and then select from the menu that pops up in order to take a picture and insert it into the container field.

I suggest setting up a very simple database on a computer, hosting it with FileMaker Pro and then using FM GO to connect to it and to test working with images and container fields in that context. I believe that you will probably need to keep images embedded, not inserted as "references" to be able to see the pictures from an FM GO client, but I may not be remembering the details correctly.

• 2. Re: ipad input and pictures
            fluffyone

Hi Phil

I have a paid version of file maker go that works with 10 and 11. I will give it a go, the reason I asked is that my ipad had no camera and if it worked then I would upgrade the ipad, however I can temporary use another one with a camera to do some trials.

regards Bimble.

• 3. Re: ipad input and pictures
              fluffyone

Hi Phil

I was going to get this working on my desktop pc (with filemaker pro 10) using a webcam first but I don't know how the access the webcam?

I think I can insert a picture but this just points to a file location
                   if I use a container field when I click it comes up to record a sound file? 

Do you know how to access a web cam

regards Fluffy

• 4. Re: ipad input and pictures
                philmodjunk

You'd need to save the image file or movie to the disk as a file and then insert the file into the container field. If you search plug ins, you might get lucky and find one offered that can insert from the camera directly.

• 5. Re: ipad input and pictures
                  fluffyone

Hi Phil

I was just doing a search for plugins and found the link below which mentions using a camera on an ipad in a container field, will I need the new version of filemaker and filemaker go for this?

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/for-ipad/help/1/working_containers.html

regards Fluffy

• 6. Re: ipad input and pictures
                    philmodjunk

Fm GO does not support plug ins.

You should be able to tap on the container field and get a pop up menu of choices for inserting an image that includes inserting an image from the camera. This should be very easy to test on your iPad.

• 7. Re: ipad input and pictures
                      fluffyone

Hi Phil

I tried the ipad last night an it works a treat!, I can select photo size: small, medium and large which I assume is the quality of the image as it always stays the same size in the container box set up.

I created 5 records with different sized pictures the database file was 544kb in size, I exported each photo to see what size they were and they ranged in size from 24kb to 150kb ish, my intension would be to make the picture size as small as possible so it is still able to display the item.

Can I ask:

if I have many thousands of records each with an embedded picture the database file will be quite big, will this cause issues with speed and usability? especially over a network with the ipad?

if this is the case would I be better of creating 2 databases and having the embedded photos in one and the data in another, in this way I will only access the photos as and when required i.e have a cut down text only solution when speed is required for instance when entering multiple entries etc..

regards Fluffy

• 8. Re: ipad input and pictures
                        philmodjunk

will this cause issues with speed and usability?

Yes and may especially create issues for your iPad client devices as their memory and processor speed is much less than a full up computer.

If this is the case would I be better of creating 2 databases...

There may be other advantages to having two tables for this if you have many pictures to associate with one "text record", but I think just creating a layout that does not include container fields should also serve the same "stripped down" purpose.