6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 2:28 PM by EdQuigley

irradic display of x-axis chart values with large databases

EdQuigley

Title

irradic display of x-axis chart values with large databases

I have difficulty displaying x-axis values in line charts with large amounts of data.

here is a link to database example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/haooshsnmfre0u2/And%20Test.fmp12?v=1rc-s

I am plotting 40,000 points. When I try to filter and display key labels on the x-axis, I get irractic results.

the first chart in the screen shot show what I would expect. All the label points filtered are displayed. It's just too many points.

When I add a second contraint, there should 12 values displayed. However,  no data is displayed as in the second table in the screen shot.

I also create a separate field in the table to display x-axis values that contains only 12 records with values in the Field, I still get a blank x-axis as in the third chart.

This behavior is the same for the Mac and windows verson of Filemaker Pro 12.4 Any suggestions.

Screen_Shot_2013-05-05_at_9.42.45_PM.png

• 1. Re: irradic display of x-axis chart values with large databases
          misham

Hi Ed,

I could not see the files from the dropbox. But still if you getting blank X-axis,  this calcualtion might help you.

You can try this calculation for your X-axis Data

Let (

topTwelveData = ExecuteSQL(

"SELECT <fieldname,>
               FROM <TableName>";

""; ¶) ;

RightValues ( topTwelveData ; 12 )

)

Thanks,
               Misha Mahto
               Software Developer
               http://mindfiresolutions.com
               FileMaker 11 Certified Developer
          • 2. Re: irradic display of x-axis chart values with large databases
            EdQuigley

Here is the path again. I am new to Dropbox and not sure if I have all the setting correct. I make an adjustment to dropbox and here is the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/haooshsnmfre0u2/And%20Test.fmp12?v=1rc-s

I was able to download the Filemaker Database from my wife's computer who has a separate account so it should now work.

I am dealing with a large number of records. This example contains 40,000 records. I seek to get a reasonable amount of labels that are not overlapping.

I tried the above solution and it didn't produce acceptable results. I got a solid bar of data displayed. 

• 3. Re: irradic display of x-axis chart values with large databases
              misham

Hi Ed

If you still have issue with data display on x-axis, you might use the label angle setting on the chart options. This screenshot might help you.

Thanks

Misha

• 4. Re: irradic display of x-axis chart values with large databases
                EdQuigley

Hi MIsha;

Thank you for your suggestions. For some cases it works well.

I contacted Filemaker Tech support and was told that the x-axis, like the y-axis, will calculate it's own values. Conflicts arise when we (as end users) try to overide the built in filtering in using a calcuation for the x-axis. Both end up being applied with unexpected results as demonstrated in the above example. It would have been better if Filemaker gave us the option of applying our own filter if we are not satisified with their selection especially since they gave us the capacity to do it with the calculation option in defining labels. But my assumption but was wrong.

However, I pointed out to the filemaker tech that the algorithm for the Line chart is different from the Scatter and bubble chart. The scatter and Bubble charts do produce acceptable results when I rotate the x-axis labels that are long (such as time display). However, the Line chart doesn't make the same selection. the Tech rep said that they will investigate and possibly correct this discrepancy so that the line chart selection has the same selection as the Bubble and Scatter chart which does produce acceptable scaling.

• 5. Re: irradic display of x-axis chart values with large databases
                  misham

Thanks Ed for sharing this info.

• 6. Re: irradic display of x-axis chart values with large databases
                    EdQuigley

I found a work around for this issue. I created two charts The "Back" chart contains all the data and labels that I want to display using Line type. However, I do not display any x values on the line plot. I display a " " (space) in the TItle and Data fields.

Then I created a "Front" chart that is overlayed onto the "Back" Chart of type Scatter. I only specify the x-axis values and define the backgound at transparent. I resize the front chart to fit & display just the x-axis. Once it's set right the two charts gives the ilusion of being just one plot but with a workable x-axis scale.

A bit cludgy but it works.