2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 1:05 PM by ewelch_1

Is Applescript broken in Filemaker Pro 10?

ewelch_1

Title

Is Applescript broken in Filemaker Pro 10?

I'm trying to use scripts I used with Filemaker Pro 8.5 in Filemaker Pro 10 (in Snow Leopard 10.6.2) and they seem to be broken.

When I use Script Debugger 4.5 to look inside Filemaker, most of the features seem to be broken. I can see values of cells. I can figure out how to access data in cells.

I have an Applescript that uses data imported into Filemaker as tab delimited text so that Applescript does a search in Filemaker to find the filename of a photo (the first field in the database) and then it extracts the metadata from Filemaker and used Photoshop to embed that metadata into the image file, saves the file and closes it. It searches for each image, embeds the metadata and then quits.

I figured out that Applescript now has to get the name of the database as a Window, rather than as database 1. I figured that out. But accessing the data in the TO is now seemingly impossible. I'm beginning to think my purchase of FMP 10 was a mistake. How could Applescript be so broken by this update? This is Apple after all that owns Filemaker! 

By the way, I'm using the demo version. My shipment of FM10 should arrive today. Is the Demo version the problem here?

Maybe Script Debugger just can't look inside Filemaker Pro 10. But if not, I need a scripting guide to rewrite all my scripts. Filemaker has saved me hundreds of hours, literally over the past six months. (Glad I didn't upgrade until now!) 

• 1. Re: Is Applescript broken in Filemaker Pro 10?
          FentonJones

I can't really say much. I don't really know if there were changes in FileMaker 10 that would cause problems. I have not run into them. There were also some changes to AppleScript in 10.6. But basically you should be able to get your scripts to work, with some modification. Try with small example AppleScripts, and see where yours is going wrong. I know there were huge changes in FileMaker 7, with the addition of tables; and differences between database, document and windows.

This is a link to the AppleScript documentation for FileMaker, which is no longer included in the install (should be, but isn't):

http://fmdl.filemaker.com/MISC/fmp10/fp/apple_events_reference_wwe.zip 

• 2. Re: Is Applescript broken in Filemaker Pro 10?
            ewelch_1

Thanks for the link! I isn't downloading at work, but no big surprise there. 

The answer to my question is partly what you said, some things have changed. In the Filemaker dictionary to get a cell's value, you now have to address cellValue. But it turns out my biggest problem was using the demo version. I suspect they pulled Applescript support from it for the most part. Once I fired up the real version, Script Debugger's Explorer was happy as a clam at high tide. It saw everything going on inside Filemaker 10 just fine. Took me a whole two minutes to figure out how to fix a good part of my script.

Thanks!

Eric