1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 8:21 AM by Sorbsbuster

Is FileMaker Pro a black hole for data?

BobJones2920

Title

Is FileMaker Pro a black hole for data?

Our company recently purchased FileMaker Pro 11 and are poised to begin transferring our data into it. One of our employees has several concerns about FileMaker Pro and has described it as a black hole. He is pushing to use LAMP, any thoughts?

The LAMP environment would allow us to implement far more feature than Filemaker Pro offers, including a literally unlimited choice of user interfaces.  PHP (the scripting language implemented in the development and hosting environment), HTML (the existing web standard), and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets, the underlying design element that gives many HTML pages their appearance while minimizing redundant coding and  which can be further employed to include design elements such as animation and page division) may be combined to create dialog boxes, drop-down menus, tabs, and nearly any other input element.  These elements will then respond with output in nearly any format using server-side processing via the same elements.  This degree of customization will negate the need for end-user training as the interface design can be greatly simplified compared with FileMaker's while offering the same or greater functionality. 

• 1. Re: Is FileMaker Pro a black hole for data?
          Sorbsbuster

A 'black hole' for data!  Oh, that made me laugh.  We have a great argument-stopper in our household.  When someone comes out with something along those lines the challenge is "Name three."  (That is, name 3 times you did that, name 3 examples of when that happened, etc. and if they can't respond immediately then they are deemed to have lost the argument.)  So, my challenge to the LAMP guy is "Name 3 examples they know of where Filemaker has acted like a Black Hole."

Let me guess that the same employee is well-versed in LAMP technologies, and not that well-versed in Filemaker.  So, amazingly, their services will be much in demand in one scenario.

Filemaker's ability to be used for rapidly application development and the user-friendliness of the interface is legendary.  Of course the functionality and user-friendliness is only as good as the developer makes it - just as in any LAMP application.

"The LAMP environment would allow us to implement far more feature than  Filemaker Pro offers" - Name 3, and we'll discuss.

"including a literally unlimited choice of user interfaces"  - And Filemaker only comes with a handful?

"This degree of customization will negate the need for end-user training  as the interface design can be greatly simplified compared with  FileMaker's"  - If the interface is designed badly it will take much training and generate frustration no matter what the platform.  And if it is designed well it will be an intuitive breeze to learn.  The argument is redundant.

I'm not a Filemaker Sales guy, but you are on a Filemaker Forum, so I suppose you wouldn't have expected anything else than a defence of a platform that is used in millions of applications from Blue Chips to one-man-bands.