2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2009 8:11 AM by Storm1

Is FileMaker the right solution for me?

Storm1

Title

Is FileMaker the right solution for me?

Hi everyone,

I work for a small company that deals with a large amount of customers. We are 4 people currently organizing our customers and contacts individually through Excel. As the number of clients in the spreadsheet rises, so does the trouble finding the right client - especially when I have to find details in one of my colleagues' spreadsheets.

We are looking for a piece of software that allows us to share the same database, e.g. if I type in the details for a new client this information will be available for my colleagues through his or her computer (on the same local network). We want software that let us all to work on the same database simultaneously without overwriting each other's entries (we had this problem while sharing spreadsheets through Excel).

Our needs are pretty basic, as the database only holds contact info and notes on our clients - it's solely the possibility of working on the same database simultaneously without technical issues or loss of data that we are looking for.

Is FileMaker the solution we are looking for? Can this programme allow us to work on the same database through a local network simultaneously? And if so, what are the required software packages?

Thanks,

-Simon 

• 1. Re: Is FileMaker the right solution for me?
          TSGal

Storm:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, FileMaker Pro will allow you to work on the same database at the same time.  If one person is editing one record, the others are locked out from editing that record, but they can edit other records.  When the customer finishes editing the record, the data is saved and others can then edit the record.

Each user would need their own copy of FileMaker Pro on their machine.

FileMaker Pro does have a scripting language that will allow you to automate tasks.  You can also set up the forms exactly the way you want.  I would suggest you download a trial copy of FileMaker Pro from our web site and try it for yourself.  Have another user download it and try it out sharing the same file.

If you need additional information, please contact me.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Is FileMaker the right solution for me?
            Storm1

Thank you very much for the swift reply. I'm trying out FileMaker Pro as we speek, and honestly it seems like the perfect solution for us.

-Simon