4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 9:56 PM by skyops

Is FMPRO 11 Advanced compatable with FMPRO 11

skyops

Title

Is FMPRO 11 Advanced compatable with FMPRO 11

I have 6 PC's with FMP11 and a 'server' with FMSERVER11 to network them. I wondered if anyone can tell me if I purchase a single licence FMP11 Advanced (or upgrade the FMP11 on my PC), would it still operate with the FMSERVER Databases? The reason I want to get Advanced is to design and distribute a simple run time database amongst my contractors who are in far flung regions, so they can do stock taking each month (Bar Code scanned) and also order stock more accurately. They don't need a full copy of FMP otherwise.

It's the compatability thing with our current FMP11 database I can't find any info on.

Many thanks in advance ...

• 1. Re: Is FMPRO 11 Advanced compatable with FMPRO 11
          philmodjunk

All versions of FileMaker from version 7 through version 11 use exactly the same file format so they can all open and access the same database. FileMaker 11 Advanced is specifically designed to provide tools for developing databases (not just run times) that can then be accessed from FileMaker 11. Advanced and Pro are really the same application, but Advanced has additional features enabled that are disabled in Pro.

• 2. Re: Is FMPRO 11 Advanced compatable with FMPRO 11
            skyops

Thanks Phil, I guessed this would be so but best to ask the experts before plunging in! Most appreciated, have a good one.

• 3. Re: Is FMPRO 11 Advanced compatable with FMPRO 11
              philmodjunk

When you get your copy of Advanced, be sure to learn how to use the script debugger and data viewer. These two added features alone can save you much time and frustration when getting a problem script to work the way you want it to--and not just in your run time project.

• 4. Re: Is FMPRO 11 Advanced compatable with FMPRO 11
                skyops

Thanks for the advice, will do - I'm looking forward to using it. By the way, this is a pretty good forum. I have been searching for a number of answers/solutions over the past couple of years and have always found someone has asked the same (or close enough) question and the answers are either exactly what I wanted or near enough to figure my own issue out. This is the first time I have actually resorted to posting a question.

FM 2.1 (yes, 2.1) ran my business for roughly 14 years, crashing, losing data and scaring me daily. When It would no longer load up on Vista I thought I should upgrade! Various ways to do so but all pretty primitive end results (2.1 to 6.0 to 11.0, etc). Decided to start from scatch and 18 months later I have an awesome DB. Probably saved me vast sums of cash doing it myself but I guess that's the beauty of FM - glad I stuck with the product.

Thanks again.