2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2015 10:35 PM by FabianFuentes

Is it okay to use dummy fields as 'headers' to organise tables ?

wladdy

Title

Is it okay to use dummy fields as 'headers' to organise tables ?

I have tables with dozens of fields, including raw data, calculations and summaries. To make such tables more organized and easier to understand, I am considering adding dummy fields to act like headers for a group of fields logically linked. For example, a table could look like:

=== Time fields
           d_Start
           d_End
           c_Duration
           === Descriptive fields
           d_EventName
           d_EventLocation

I wonder whether this idea makes sense or whether it will cause problems that I cannot yet foresee. Of course, the dummy fields will always remain empty, but even so will they affect the database’s efficiency? Should their type be text, number or something else? All comments will be most welcome. Thanks. W.

• 1. Re: Is it okay to use dummy fields as 'headers' to organise tables ?

A database always has fields that are empty so what you propose is what already exists.

Secondly I believe Filemaker maintains a numbering system for fields plus a 'lookup' table for whatever you name the fields which is why it is so easy to rename fields and have things continue to work, unlike other database applications especially xBase.

There are control characters used by Filemaker and you should avoid using these in your field names.

Preceeding a field name with a_ or b_ etc. should cause no problems and make for easy sorting. It will however eliminate the ease of field labeling when the field is dragged on a layout.

Instead of ===Time use ___Time

Maybe someday Filemaker will add Folders to the Field editor? Who knows what problems that will solve....

• 2. Re: Is it okay to use dummy fields as 'headers' to organise tables ?
            FabianFuentes

I wish there was something that could be done here. Folders is an excellent idea! 

Find myself resorting to a similar system proposed by Wladdy as a hack workaround.