1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 6, 2014 11:20 AM by philmodjunk

Is it possible

TreverRevert

Title

Is it possible

I am fairly new to Filemaker Pro 12, and have assigned myself the task to learn it for work. After a few weeks of learning the program I need to find out if it is possible to do the things the company wants to do are possible.

We have a website with a mySQL database containing all data for our inventory, artists information, and customer information (along with many others, but I'm going to try and keep it simple). Our current Filemaker system also has data for customers, artists, and inventory. Now note these are not identical, hence the issue. I have already managed to create a connection to the mySQL database via OBDC.

Now is it possible to have these two systems respond to each other?

ie... if I were to go into filemaker and add a new artist, could I have it add that artist to the mySQL database? Can I have Filemaker use one layout to combine both databases? I know I can use Portals to insert fields from the mySQL database, however I want it to show only non duplicates between the two database while both are sharing the same fields.

There are a ton more questions, but I'll start there for now

Thanks for your time!

Revert

• 1. Re: Is it possible
          philmodjunk

if I were to go into filemaker and add a new artist, could I have it add that artist to the mySQL database?

Yes, but I would recommend that you not record the same data in both database files. Keep the data in MySQL and use ODBC to refer to that data when using FileMaker.