6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 10:14 AM by philmodjunk

Is it possible to 'convert' an entire FileMaker database to a MySQL database?

basmeyer

Title

Is it possible to 'convert' an entire FileMaker database to a MySQL database?

And host this MySQL database on a webserver, forget about the local FileMaker database, and use ESS from that moment onwards..? Just as in http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/sql.html

The intension is to share the MySQL database with a webshop.

I have spend hours to find an answer in all kinds of sources and documentation, but stay unsuccessful in answering this basic question. If this is possible, could anyone tell me or link me to a location where I can find all the necessary steps to accomplish this? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Is it possible to 'convert' an entire FileMaker database to a MySQL database?
          bumper

While I have never had the need to do so myself it apparently is possible. You might start at http://www.fmpromigrator.com/products/index.html

FmPro Migrator is a stand-alone application which quickly and accurately migrates FileMaker Pro databases to MySQL, Oracle, Access, SQL Server, Sybase, DB2, OpenBase, PostgreSQL, FrontBase, SQLite and Valentina. FileMaker Pro database structure and data are migrated to a database table in the destination database. Large text, repeating fields data and container field data are also migrated without manual data entry.

The Table Consolidation feature performs the automated copying of Tables/Fields, Table Occurrences, Relationships, ScriptMaker scripts and Layouts between FileMaker 8 - 11 database files on MacOS X and Windows.

I presume you have already googled FileMaker to sql, there are some intersting hits for assisting with this process. 

HTH

• 2. Re: Is it possible to 'convert' an entire FileMaker database to a MySQL database?
            basmeyer

Well, I did extensive Googleing, but did not expect to find a migration tool on page one with just "filemaker to sql". :o) With "covert filemaker to sql" I went nowhere.

As my face turns a but red now, which you cannot see luckily, your information is much appreciated! It really makes a difference to know that this possibility exist.

I wonder wheter you stll need an ODBC driver to acces a MySQL webserver. According to this page it looks like the is no need to: http://www.filemaker.com/support/technologies/sql.html

But according to other FileMaker documents you always need ODBC. A bit confusing...

Thanks a lot, BM

• 3. Re: Is it possible to 'convert' an entire FileMaker database to a MySQL database?
              bumper

I'm a bit confused now. If your goal is to connect a filemaker db to a mysql db then, as I understand it, you would need not ODBC, but could hook up the mysql as an external data source like any other FM file. If your goal is to convert and replace the filemaker db with a mysql db then you would no longer even need the fm db. Or if it is your need to do a little of both, ie, mysql online and merely update the data between the two then ODBC would come into play.

You might look in TechNet or one of the other forums, FMForums or FMPug, as someome may have already answered your questions elsewhere.

Keep in mind there are always several ways to do anything in FM, IWP, CWP & PHP, all are useable solutions, it often depends of the number of concurrent users and the need or desire to keep everything in FM or not.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to 'convert' an entire FileMaker database to a MySQL database?
                basmeyer

"If your goal is to convert and replace the filemaker db with a mysql db then you would no longer even need the fm db."

That's the one!

I'll have a look in the information sources you mentioned. I have found a good suggestion on the net here http://idilix.net/filemaker-mysql-migration to accomplish the migration just by exporting the FM database as a .csv file, import it into MySQL, export in as a MySQL file, upload it to a webserver, configure FM to work with the online database. Hope this works, I will have to perform some simple tests first I presume, just to see how it goes.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to 'convert' an entire FileMaker database to a MySQL database?
                  microbatteryshop

hi, i think my question is somewhat the same.

I was dreaming to use my product database in filemakerpro 12 to export it to an online server as a web shop.

At the moment i use actinic, however i alsways need to download the orders from online to the actinic, program and export the order from actinic to a csv so filemaker can import it automaticly.

Somewhat a long way.

it would be super if there was an exsisting system. let say an online shop module for filemaker that uploads all product to a server online and hecks, download the order when they are new. to gether with visa and paypal . what a dream.

what about ebay and facebook.

I must admit im just starting , but its good to know what options i have. to work on.

any ideas?Embarassed

• 6. Re: Is it possible to 'convert' an entire FileMaker database to a MySQL database?
                    philmodjunk

Take a look at xml imports and exports. You may be able to download and upload directly to/from your web site.