5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 9:33 AM by philmodjunk

Is it possible to have access between two DB

AswinSankarapillai

Title

Is it possible to have access between two DB

Hello Everyone,

I would like to create a link between two DB'S. I have two databases which resides on the same server. Is it possible to have a button in my menu which takes me to the other database and again back to the same DB ?

Thanks,
           Aswin Shankar

• 1. Re: Is it possible to have access between two DB
          philmodjunk

A button with Open File as its specified script step can open the other file and bring it's window to the front. When setting up this button, be sure to click "remote" in the open file dialog just as though your are opening the hosted file from FileMaker's File menu.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to have access between two DB
            AswinSankarapillai

Thanks a lot, it helped .

Thanks,

Aswin Shankar

• 3. Re: Is it possible to have access between two DB
              AswinSankarapillai

I do have one more question, Is it possible for me to link tables between these two databases as well ? For instance, If I would like to fetch some information from a table which is existing in the other DB, Is it possible for us to do so ?

Thanks,

Aswin Shankar

• 4. Re: Is it possible to have access between two DB
                TKnTexas

Tables in remote files are linked VIA relationships the same way that tables with a file are linked.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to have access between two DB
                  philmodjunk

Back prior to FileMaker 7, we could only define one table in any one file of FileMaker. Linking tables in different files was the only option available and FileMaker has kept that capability.

Open Manage | Database | Relationshps

Click the misnamed "add a table" button in the far lower left corner to add a new table occurrence to your relationships graph. In the drop down of the dialog that this opens, select "add FileMaker data source", find the other file, open it and select the table from that file that you want to link to tables in your current file.

This adds a reference to that other file's table to your relationship graph and you can link it to your other table occurrences just as though that table were defined in your current table. You can also set up a layout that is based on this table occurrence to show data from that other table without using Open File to open the other file explicitly. (References to an external data source automatically open the file in the background.

Once that relationship is defined, you can also use it with Go to Related Records to open the other file and pull up a set of related records on a layout in that other file.

A completely different approach is to use perform script to perform a script in the other file. You can pass data from your current file in a script parameter to that other file where that script can then use the data thus passed to perform a find or do some other action with it.