3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 3:06 PM by philmodjunk

Is it possible to place two portals on the same layout?

johnsmith_1

Title

Is it possible to place two portals on the same layout?

Hello,

I know that this question has been asked before but I couldn't get right the trick behind the solution.

Maybe some indulgent fmpro advanced user could patiently share some knowho with me.

Is it possible to get different data on two portals on the  same layout based on the relationship established between two tables  through a joint table?

If the answer is yes I would appreciate guidance on how to do it.

My table stettings are as follows

Document table

__pkFID

other fields

Person table

__pkPersonID

NameFulList

NameFull

NameLast

NameMiddleInitial

NameFirst

PersonJobTitle

PersonrDepartment

other fields

Appraisal (joint table)

__pkAppraisalID

_fkFID

_fkPersonID

NameLast

NameMiddleInitial

NameFirst

The Appraisal joint table was created to sort out the many-to-many relationship between Document and Person tables.

The relationships so far established between the TOs are as follows:

Document to Appraisal (one to many): Document __pkFID::Appraisal_fkFID

Person to Appraisal (One to many): Person__pkPersonID::Appraisal_fkPersonID

My objective is to record both the reviewers and approvers on each document. To achieve this, in the Entry layout of Document table I have a tab named Appraisal where I have put two portals one for the reviewers and another for the approvers.

Since the two portals should have different values, I wrongly assumed that the solution was to create another TO for the Person table and establish the adequate relationships, but it dindn't matter what I did becuase I was always getting the same values on both portals.

What I tried and din't work was to create a new TO for the Person table. I named it Person 2 and established a relationship with the Appraisal joint table.

My idea was for one portal to get the data from the Person -> Appraisal realtionship and for the other portal to get the data from the Person 2 -> Appraisal realtionship.

But no matter how I set up the fields on both portals I was getting the same values on both.

What do I have to do to achieve this?

Thanks,

fmnovice

• 1. Re: Is it possible to place two portals on the same layout?
          philmodjunk

The Name fields in appraisal appear redundant. From what you describe, I don't see a purpose for them. In what field do you identify who is a "reviewer" and who is an "approver"?

I'll assume that this is recorded in a field in Person, though a field for this can also be defined in Appraisal if one person may be a reviewer for one document and an approver for another. Either way, the basic approaches below work, but you may need to modify to suit your actual situation here.

In FileMaker 11, you can place two portals to Appraisal or to Person on your document layout. Define different portal filters for each such as:

Person::JobTitle = "reviewer" for the reviewer portal and Person::JobTitle::"Approver" for the approver portal.

If you don't have FileMaker 11, you'll need to do this on the relationship level with two TO's like you started out to do.

Define a pair of calculation fields, cApproverKey and cReviewerKey in Appraisal so that they return the text: "Approver" and "Reviewer" respectively.

Now define these relationships for your two portals:

Approver_Person::__pkPersonID = Appraisal::Appraisal_fkPersonID AND
          Approver_Person::JobTitle = Appraisal::cApproverKey

Reviewer_Person::__pkPersonID = Appraisal::Appraisal_fkPersonID AND
          Reviewer_Person::JobTitle = Appraisal::cReviewerKey

Place a portal to Approver_Person and to Reviewer_Person (Both TO's of Person) on your documents layout.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to place two portals on the same layout?
            johnsmith_1

Hello PhilModJunk,

Thank you for looking into my question and for your expert directions.

I am almost there but not quite yet.

Maybe I will save you time if I show you first how I set up the tables, relationships and the portal in the layout. I am sure you can easily find my mistake that will explain why I haven't beenable to make it work yet.

So first, the table structures:

Document Table Structure

document table structure

Person Table Structure

person table structure

Appraisal Table Structure (joint table)

appraisal table structure

Tables Relationship Graph

tables relationship graph

Document::Appraisal Relationship

document appraisal relationship

Person::Appraisal Relationship

person_appraisal_relationship

Now the portals in Document layout

In the Appraisal tab of the Document layout I have inserted two portals:

portals

Since I have FM11Pro Advanced I chose your first option: portal filtering

Reviewer Portal

reviewer portal

Reviewer Portal Filter

reviewer portal filter

Reviewer Portal Fields

I have three fields in the Reviewer Portal:

Appraisal::_fkPerson ID field. This field has attached  the Popup menu Person that uses values from field: "Person::__pkPersonID" and "Person::NameFullList"

Person::PersonJobTitle field.

Person::PersonDepartment field

Approver Portal Filter

approver_portal_filter

Approver Portal Fields

The fields in are the same as in the reviewer portal

I have three fields in the Approver Portal:

Appraisal::_fkPerson  ID field. This field has attached  the Popup menu Person that uses  values from field: "Person::__pkPersonID" and "Person::NameFullList"

Person::PersonJobTitle field.

Person::PersonDepartment field

Once I have all this in place and mode into browse mode to enter values in the appraisal tab of the Document table all sort of strange things happen: values entered relocate themselves from one record to another, some records duplicate themselves, etc.

So I hope that you will be able to find out what I did wrong.

Thanks agains for your time and expertise,

fmnovice

• 3. Re: Is it possible to place two portals on the same layout?
              philmodjunk

Once I have all this in place and mode into browse mode to enter values in the appraisal tab of the Document table all sort of strange things happen: values entered relocate themselves from one record to another, some records duplicate themselves, etc.

You need to describe this in greater detail. Note that you can create appraisal records in either portal, but if you select some one whose PersonFunction field = "Approver" in the Reviewer portal, that record will disappear from the Reviewer portal as they will be excluded by the portal filter and then their record will appear in the "Approver" portal as that filter will include them.

The portal filter only controls what records will be visible in a given portal, it does not cause data to be automatically entered.

I'd add the Person::PersonFunction field to your portals temporarily, so that you can see better what is going on when you select a person in these portals.