2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2010 4:09 PM by shudder

Is it possible to slide body text?

pugmum

Title

Is it possible to slide body text?

I have a letter that has been done in filemaker. I have left spaces (using the space bar) where customized words need to be inserted that are determined by using "if statements". The problem is that some words that are inserted are longer than others so in the case where the words are shorter, there is too much space between the inserted word and the one that follows.

For example:

example 1: I would be happy to provide Bill             with a free consultation.

example 2: I would be happy to provide Anne-Marie with a free consultation. 

As per the examples above, #2 works with a longer name, but with a shorter name, there is too much space between the words "Bill" and "with". (note that "Bill" and "Anne-Marie" are both fields that have been inserted on top of the body text.

Am I going about doing this all wrong?

• 1. Re: Is it possible to slide body text?
          philmodjunk

Set up a calculation field like this:

"I would be happy to provide " & NameField & " with a free consultation."

You can also store the body text into fields so that different records have different messages:

BeforeNameTextField & " " & NameField & " " & AfterNameTextField

You can get more sophisticated than that if you want.

Store the entire body message in one field with an easily entered place holder for inserting the name:

BodyText = "I would be happy to provide **** with a free consultation.

Then use this calculation to insert the name:

Substitute( BodyText; "****"; NameField )

• 2. Re: Is it possible to slide body text?
            shudder

We covered this a bit earlier today in a different thread.  Posting it as an alternative to Phil's entry: More On Text and Fields.

- Michael