1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 9:03 AM by philmodjunk

Is it possible to upgrade to v. 10 from v. 3 without ANY problems?

vnoller

Title

Is it possible to upgrade to v. 10 from v. 3 without ANY problems?

I have a relative running a small business on version 3.0, on a Windows 98 OS.  They would like to upgrade their computers as well as their version of FileMaker Pro, but they are obviously worried about losing files and data.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to take on this kind of upgrade or are there any known issues?  I primarily work with Microsoft products, so I am not familiar with FileMaker.  Any help is much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Is it possible to upgrade to v. 10 from v. 3 without ANY problems?
          philmodjunk

Upgrading from 3 to 10 is a major jump with several file format changes among other things. Chances are that you will have issues to resolve after conversion. Whether these are simple things to fix or complex depends on the complexity of your database design.

I suggest reading this knowledge base article to start: Click Here

Then download the free trial copy of fmp 10 and try using it to convert a copy of your database. You'll have 30 days to evaluate whether this works fairly smoothly for you or whether you will need to make extensive modifications to the converted database in order to complete the conversion process.

If all else fails, you can export the data from your FMP 3 files into text files and then import them into completely new fmp 10 files.