1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2014 7:43 AM by philmodjunk

Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?

PeterMontague

Title

Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?

I want to use a related value list to make new records in a portal. This would set the match field. 

I'm able to make new records by manually entering the matching record serial. But these are fairly meaningless. But by using related value lists I could limit the options available for the match field and replace them with meaningful names by showing a value from a second field.

But it only seems to work when I have a relationship established between the my table and the portal table. 

Any advice?

• 1. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
          philmodjunk

Using a conditional value list in this context is a pretty common way to do what you want here. Can you describe where it's failing for you in more detail?

The typical failure point is selecting the correct "starting from" table occurrence for the conditional value list when used in this context. Often, that "starting from" table occurrence needs to be the layout's TO rather than the portal's.

I've recently released a freeware demo file called "Adventures in FileMaking #1". It's an in depth exploration of conditional value lists with working examples of each variation combined with very detailed information on how they were set up and how they work. If you are interested, you can download a free copy from my FaceBook page (see link below).

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 2. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
            PeterMontague

Thanks Phil. I tried making the starting from point the TO's layout rather than the portal. But that didn't work.

I'll study your file and see if I can work it out. I'll let you know.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
              philmodjunk

You are also welcome to describe your current set up in much more detail. Right now, I don't know exactly what you have set up and thus could only describe a common issue that can keep things from working...

• 4. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
                PeterMontague

I made a scheme of work for teaching. This lists the lessons which I intend to teach over the coming year. I want to match it by section and skills to past exam questions. I have a portal that matches the appropriate exam questions to each lesson depending on the sections and skills that I choose.

The selection of a section in a particular lesson will limit the choice of skills available to match the lesson with an exam question. Some lessons will have more than one skill so I want to use a portal to allow me to choose more skills.

The portal is in skills to scheme of work. I guess it might work if the skills filtered by Section TO and the kpSectionID_SOW_Section TO and the SectionSOW_SECTION TO were directly connected to the portal's TO?

• 5. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
                  philmodjunk

So your layout is based on SchemeOfWork? with a portal to SkillToScheme_OF_Work?

And you want to format _fkSkillID with a conditional value list of available skills?

What I don't see is any way to specify a "section" as a way to limit what skills would appear in such a value list....

And if I did, my next question would still be: When you specify a "Section" is that something you specify for the SchemeOfWork record (The current layout record) or for the SkillTOScheme_OF_Work record (The portal row)?

• 6. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
                    PeterMontague
                    So your layout is based on SchemeOfWork? with a portal to SkillToScheme_OF_Work?
                    That's right. 

And you want to format _fkSkillID with a conditional value list of available skills?
                    Yes that's right I want to format SkillToSCHEME_OF_WORK with a conditional value list of available skills. 

What I don't see is any way to specify a "section" as a way to limit what skills would appear in such a value list....

I specify a section from the layout SectionSOW_SECTION. There is currently a list of 22 section from which I can choose. The skills TO has a a list of 88 skills which include sectionIDs too.

And if I did, my next question would still be: When you specify a "Section" is that something you spepcify for the SchemeOfWork record (The current layout record) or for the SkillTOScheme_OF_Work record (The portal row)?

When I choose the section I choose it for the SchemeOfWork record and not for the portal row. Should I choose if for the portal row?
                    • 7. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
                      philmodjunk

Is your value list set up to list values from "SkillsFilteredbySectionSkills"?

And is the "starting from" table occurrence "SchemeOfWork"?

And you find that when you create a new record in the portal, you have to click a blank area outside of the portal and then click into the conditional value list field before you see a list of values?

• 8. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
                        PeterMontague

Is your value list set up to list values from "SkillsFilteredbySectionSkills"?

Yes

And is the "starting from" table occurrence "SchemeOfWork"?

Yes

And you find that when you create a new record in the portal, you have to click a blank area outside of the portal and then click into the conditional value list field before you see a list of values?

I find that the way to create a new portal record is by entering the sectionID. I don't have to click a blank area outside of the portal to see the conditional value list before I see the list of values.

• 9. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
                          philmodjunk

But you have to create that portal record before you click into the conditional value list, correct?

This is one of those "picky niggly detail" kind of things so I want to be sure I have a clear picture as I've been planning on replicating the set up and testing some options.

I'm hypothesizing at this point that you will need to use a calculation field in the portal's table defined to copy the value of the Skills match field in SchemeOfWork that matches to the "filteredby" table occurrence. Then set it up as the match field to this "filteredby" table occurrence instead of the original field in SchemeOfWork. But I'd have to test that to be sure that it actually will work here...

I'm rather surprised that your current set up doesn't work smoothly...

• 10. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
                            PeterMontague

But you have to create that portal record before you click into the conditional value list, correct?

Yes

This is one of those "picky niggly detail" kind of things so I want to be sure I have a clear picture as I've been planning on replicating the set up and testing some options.

I'm hypothesizing at this point that you will need to use a calculation field in the portal's table defined to copy the value of the Skills match field in SchemeOfWork that matches to the "filteredby" table occurrence. Then set it up as the match field to this "filteredby" table occurrence instead of the original field in SchemeOfWork. But I'd have to test that to be sure that it actually will work here...

I didn't think you could use a calculation field as a match field. 

I'm rather surprised that your current set up doesn't work smoothly...

Maybe I have some of the wrong match fields in other tables?

• 11. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
                              philmodjunk

I didn't think you could use a calculation field as a match field.

Do it all the time. They can even be unstored or global fields so long as you understand the limitations of using such. We may end up using that here as a way to avoid having to copy over values from the parent record each time that we create a new portal record.

What happens if you select your value in _kfSectionID and then click the layout background to commit the SchemeOfWork record?

Does that affect what you see in the value lists inside the portal to SkillToScheme_Of_Work?

• 12. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
                                philmodjunk

Just ran a quick test. There must be some other detail in play here. I'm getting correct value list values in the conditional value list field in the portal record after first selecting/entering a value in the layout table's current record.

• 13. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
                                  PeterMontague

What happens if you select your value in _kfSectionID and then click the layout background to commit the SchemeOfWork record?

When I paste in the _kfSectionID into the portal this creates a new portal record and it makes a new portal row appear.

Does that affect what you see in the value lists inside the portal to SkillToScheme_Of_Work?

Yes. Then I can see the value list in the first portal row but not in the second portal row.

• 14. Re: Is it possible to use a related value list to make a new record in a portal?
                                    philmodjunk

Sorry but that's not what I am asking. If you enter or select a value in SchemeOfWork::_kfSectionID, then click the layout background to commit records, do you then see the expected values in the conditional value list that you set up in the portal row?

From what I can tell here, it's the value in SchemeOfWork::_kfSectionID that controls what values appear in your value list.

1 2 Previous Next