1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 6, 2011 9:00 AM by philmodjunk

Is it wise to create a form using a portal?

lowededwookie

Title

Is it wise to create a form using a portal?

OK, so I'm trying to create a call system that allows a job to be created then allows updates to be made against the job. I want a single tabbed interface to achieve this but I'm not sure if manipulating fields in a portal to make a form for each record is the right way to go about this.

Most of the topics I see here about portals only seem to refer to the portals in relation to lists which is not what I need because I need the records to be editable from the interface.

I'm having a couple of problems either way.

The first is trying to keep the portal sticking to the tab. If I make any size change in order to cater for creating a form it ends up having the background show up and hiding the fields.

I know it can be done because I've done it in this database:

Working Portal Form

Why can't I replicate this on my new database? I can't think of how I did this because I created it so long ago.

The second is that I can't remember how I got the data to match the main record in the database that is working. It's driving me mental because it looks like I've done everything the same but it doesn't seem to work. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to butcher the working one.

But I come back to my original question, is it wise to create a form in a portal or should I just simply have it as a list and just use a separate form to do the editing? If the latter how do I get it to link back to the proper job?

I think I've been a bit spoiled by how easy it is to achieve this in Bento but I need the power of FileMaker Pro. Typical.

• 1. Re: Is it wise to create a form using a portal?
          philmodjunk

You might start by looking up portals in FileMaker help to make sure you understand how to set up the basic relationship that will control what records appear in your portal.

If you enter layout mode and double-click your portal, you can bring up portal setup.... In this dialog, you can specify that the portal display only one row. After making that change, you can resize the portal row to make it tall enough to suit your purposes. You can then position and resize fields with in this portal as needed to create a "miniature form" inside the form.

Whether you stick with the default "list" appearance or make changes to get your "form", the fields in the portal are just as editable as if you went to a separate layout for doing this. The only fields you won't be able to edit are calculation fields or fields where you've used the Inspector's behavior settings to deny access to the field.