1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 12, 2010 10:35 AM by philmodjunk

Is the problem with FM Pro 5.0????

BobWerner

Title

Is the problem with FM Pro 5.0????

I am new here and am not technical or computer savy. So if my description of the problem is lacking, that is why. I have a simple database program which was based on FM 4.0 and was later up-graded to use FM Pro 5.0 due to a corrupt file in the database and no recovery option was available in the database program. Before and since this upgrade, I have had no trouble inserting pictures from the internet into the data base. However, after I went to one particular website and acquired a picture there and tried to load it into the insert window dialogue box, the window that normally pops up to allow the insertion, now takes an inordinate amount of time to load on the screen. And when it finally does, after four or five minutes, the folder entitled "image" from this particular website is in the dialog box where it reads ("look in") with over 700 JPEG image files. Once here at the dialogue box where it reads "look in", I can scroll up and click on "desktop" and insertion of the desired captured image obtained elsewhere then can take place easily. If I am not online, this "image" folder doesn't even appear in the "look in" space of the dialog box. I believe all these 700 files are the problem, but I cannot seem to remove the files or remove them from the dialogue box. I get an error message that says they are not on the hard drive???? I have gone to the folder where they are and tried to delete them, but could not. I then sent the entire folder to the recycling bin. Still this did not help. I have run two comprehensive malware and virus programs, and the computer is clean. Any ideas on how to speed up the loading of the photo insertion window, or how to get these files out of the "look in" dialogue box? Is this a problem with FM Pro 5.0? Anyone else ever have a similar problem? Thank you very much!

• 1. Re: Is the problem with FM Pro 5.0????
          philmodjunk

"...later up-graded to use FM Pro 5.0 due to a corrupt file in the database and no recovery option was available in the database program...."

Don't know why it wasn't available, filemaker 4 was able to recover files--though then as now, best practice is to replace damaged files with backups instead of using the recovered file.

I think the delay is in getting the dialog to update with such a long list of files. If you insert a picture from a different folder where there aren't so many items listed, I don't think you'll see this delay--but I could be wrong here as I haven't used such an old version of FileMaker in quite a while now.