3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 10:51 AM by philmodjunk

Is there a GET for the current FIND criteria?

whardy7

Title

Is there a GET for the current FIND criteria?

I would like to print a report where the header includes the criteria the user selected using FIND on a layout. For example, if they typed something into the Title field during a FIND, I want the report to reflect that so the user knows which criteria this report reflects. They will be printing many reports and nothing will clarify which FIND generated this particular data. I can have them type it into a dialog-style box, but I want to avoid that if there is another way.

Is there some way to capture the current FIND criteria through a GET or some other function?

whardy

• 1. Re: Is there a GET for the current FIND criteria?
          philmodjunk

Have the user enter the criteria they want to use into fields with global storage.

A script can then use the criteria in the global fields to perform the find and you can then include the global fields in your report header to show the criteria that was used to find the records used in the report.

This also, BTW, allows you to format some global fields in ways better suited for find criteria than for data entry--which can make for a more user friendly system for pulling up the records used in your report.

• 2. Re: Is there a GET for the current FIND criteria?
            whardy7

I thought I might have to do that, but wondered if I might be able to keep it simple by using the same layout they already use and are most familiar with. I take it there isn't a way to call that up. I agree I might like the benefits provided by formatting global fields, but was hoping the other way existed.

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: Is there a GET for the current FIND criteria?
              philmodjunk

Hmmm, while there isn't a get function, you can use the script Modify Last Find to return to find mode and display the criteria used. If you used Freeze Window to freeze the window, used Modify Find Mode to return to find mode, you might be able to copy all the criteria used from the fields on your layout into global variables. The script could then return to browse mode and then your global variables, if placed on the layout as merge variables, could display the criteria used to produce the report.