1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 12:52 PM by philmodjunk

Is there a shortcut to change tables for multiple fields in a copied layout?

AEH

Title

Is there a shortcut to change tables for multiple fields in a copied layout?

I have a layout for entering data on our graduate alumni, and need a similar one for data on undergrad alumni.  I have copied the grad data layout and changed it to pull from the undergrad table, and now each individual field needs to be changed to map to the right table.  Is there a shortcut to do this for blocks of fields at one time (for instance, all the fields in one portal), rather than field by field?  (I know I can't do it for the whole layout at once, since there are a few fields which do not map directly, but most is in portal groups -- eg, address, work information, family -- which does map exactly.)

AEH

• 1. Re: Is there a shortcut to change tables for multiple fields in a copied layout?
          philmodjunk

Here's what's worked for me.

1. Each layout refers to a table occurrence box in Manage | Database | Relationships in the Show records from box in Layout Setup...
          2. Copy all your layout objects to the clipboard
          3. Rename the table occurrence name in the relationships graph of the two layout's table occurrences so that the new layout refers to the other table occurrence by the same name as was previously selected on the old layout.
          4. Paste the layout objects.
          5. Return to the relationship graph and change the table occurrence names back to their original names to avoid future confusion.

Keep in mind that this only works if the field names in the copied fields exactly match fields in both data source tables.