4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2014 3:14 PM by philmodjunk

Is there a way to "downgrade" fp12 file to fp7?

AlbertTai

Title

Is there a way to "downgrade" fp12 file to fp7?

Hi, I am wondering if anyone know of a way to "downgrade" a fp12 file to fp7... I've developed a database using FMP13 but I need to run the same database on FMP11 (which using fp7 format). I have good reason that I need to stay with FMP11 and upgrading FMP11 to FMP13 is not an option for me. I couldn't find an answer to my question after some search on the web, but I figure I will ask here.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Is there a way to "downgrade" fp12 file to fp7?
          RickWhitelaw

I don't believe there's a way to do this.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to "downgrade" fp12 file to fp7?
            philmodjunk

Best that you can do is copy and paste portions of the FMP 13 file (open in Fmp 13) into the .fp7 file (open in FileMaker 11) to replicate your design. Only some elements can be pasted. Others have to be recreated by hand.

You can then move any data that you have in the .fmp12 file into the .fp7 file by exporting the data to a merge file and then importing that text into the .fp7 file. Come to think of it, you can probably use the "new table" option for your target table when importing and create a new table in the .fp7 file while at the same time importing the data. That does at least some of the work for you.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to "downgrade" fp12 file to fp7?
              AlbertTai

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and make suggestions. I figure there is no easy way but try asking anyway. The part that is going to be labor intensive to reproduce is the scripts, layout (w/ buttons that tied to scripts)  and the relationships... the tables are easy in comparison... oh well.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to "downgrade" fp12 file to fp7?
                philmodjunk

If you or someone you know has access to FileMaker 12 or 13 Advanced and also FileMaker 11 Advanced, you can open the script in the script editor, select the entire script and copy it to the clipboard. You then switch to the file open in FileMaker 11 Advanced, start a new script and Paste. You may have steps that don't translate if they are unique to versions 12 or 13 and some file specific references may need to be fixed, but it would still save a lot of one step at a time point and double clicking to recreate your scripts.