5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 8:39 AM by philmodjunk

Is there a way to copy / paste while in table view?

vincel

Title

Is there a way to copy / paste while in table view?

Trying to do some things with my data in table view like I would normally in Excel.  If I have data in some fields that I want to copy and paste into multiple other fields, what is the easiest way to do that?

• 1. Re: Is there a way to copy / paste while in table view?
          philmodjunk

There is no built in ability in FileMaker for copying blocks of fields/records for pasting into a different block of fields/records. This could be scripted after a fashion, but usually it's simpler to recognize the fact that FileMaker is not a spreadsheet program. Just as there are somethings that are very straight forward in FileMaker that can't easily (or at all) be done in Excel, there are some Excel features that aren't easy to do (or possible) in FileMaker.

So while it's possible to use a script and script triggers to capture the fields and records clicked to move the data bounded by those clicks to a destination identified by another mouse click, it may well be a better idea to explain why you need/want this feature as that would allow me and others to suggest alternative approaches that may accomplish the same end result more simply.

With relational databases, the whole point of using such a tool is to minimize/eliminate the need to move/copy blocks of data from one place to another by using relational links to accomplish the same result. That doesn't mean that we don't have to copy data from one place to another, just that it's a much less common operation in a relational database if that database is properly designed.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to copy / paste while in table view?
            vincel

I have a database I created to input a lighting energy audit via ipad.   

What i'm entering is various data which shows the existing lighting fixtures within a space or building.

I need to then manually enter a "proposed" option that can be done for each record of data within the database.   

The proposed option varies and I i've created value lists so that I can easily chose from a drop down.

The issue is that i'll easily have 300+ records and it's easiest to first sort them by a common value and then insert the proposed option across a group of records instead of manually hitting the drop down arrow for each of the 300+ records.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to copy / paste while in table view?
              vincel

I put more thought to this and i'm thinking what would be better for me is to have the "proposed" fields populate automatically and then I can make modifications to the ones that need changing.    9 out of 10 times i'd say that depending on one or more fields in the "existing" fields what will be performed and need to be placed in the "proposed" will be the same.  What I need help on is how to handle that.   For instance here is what i'm looking at.

In my "Audit" table I have fields for the existing as follows

Lamp Type

Lamp Size

Lamp Wattage

I also have fields for the proposed

Proposed Lamp Type

Proposed Lamp Size

Proposed Lamp Wattage

Right now these are all setup with value lists being pulled from other tables.  However If I have data for example of

Lamp Type - Inc / Halogen

Lamp Size - PAR38

Lamp Wattage - 90

I'd want the proposed to populate as

Proposed Lamp Type - LED Screw In

Proposed Lamp Size - PAR38

Proposed Lamp Wattage - 18

This is just one example of multiple scenarios I could have.   Any way to streamline this with some sort of calculation or script to pre-fill the Proposed fields?

• 4. Re: Is there a way to copy / paste while in table view?
                JimMac

You can Duplicate a Record, and use Replace on a found set of similar "proposal fields" that are in common.

Jim...

• 5. Re: Is there a way to copy / paste while in table view?
                  philmodjunk

You should also explore various ways to use relationships and additional Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? to accomplish what you need to do.

You may find that you can use a relationship that links your actual records to the proposed records. The data for actual and proposed might reside in the same table or two different tables.