3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2011 1:27 PM by RCaauwe

Is there a way to list every place a field is used in an application?

RCaauwe

Title

Is there a way to list every place a field is used in an application?

I am hoping there is a utility in Filemaker Pro 10 that will let me print out every occurance where a field is used in an application.  If I want to delete a field or change it, it would be nice to know all the reports it will affect for example.

• 1. Re: Is there a way to list every place a field is used in an application?
          philmodjunk

That requires FileMaker Advanced. With advanced, you can generate a database design report and search it for instances of a particular field name. If the name is fairly generic, you can first change the field's name to something more specific before generating the report.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to list every place a field is used in an application?
            LaRetta_1

I use DDR, Base Elements and more.  However, a beautifully inexpensive method to quickly find ANY reference (without the required time to generate a DDR and search through it by section) is to use http://www.dracoventions.com/  Developer Assistant.  It provides a popup dialog and when you open an FM window which can be searched (most of them), you type your phrase and it finds the results.

You can type a partial string and then go to define fields and it will find every occurrence (highlight) in the field name OR within any calculations.  Then open ScriptMaker window and it will go through them all, highlighting the lines where the partial string occurs (including every use of a variable through ALL scripts).  Then open a calculation and attempt to find that string in a LONG list of fields ... it jumps and highlights first occurrence ... double-click to select or select button 'next' to find the next occurrence.  It saves me eyestrain and headache scrolling through long lists of fields.  This works when you want to export and quickly find a field in a very long list; a calculation when fields are not in order (and they never are) and so forth.  Any FM window with lists becomes searchable.

There are many other great things it does but I was mostly excited about typing something like flg and then finding all examples of it throughout my solution.  It is almost TOO easy to use ... it provides instant results; and it has been the best investment we have made (it floats on top of every FM window).  It has immediately saved me hundreds of hours in finding fields to export or use in calculations and finding breaks, i.e. I type 'missing' and it find breaks in fields, tables etc.

And no, I am not affiliated with DracoVentions and no, I get paid nothing and no, I don't know the people at all.  But when something comes in handy many times a day in my development work and it saves me hours of time and frustration, I can't help but tell everyone about it.

2EMPOWER rocks.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to list every place a field is used in an application?
              RCaauwe

Thanks LaRetta.  I discovered, after downloading the trial, it requires Filemaker Pro 11.  I have been using Filemaker Pro 10, but I did go ahead and order it.  The utility plug-in you suggested does look like it will solve my problem.  Thanks again.