2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2010 11:39 AM by AlexisJensen

Is there a way to save mutliple finds under one 'saved find'?

AlexisJensen

Title

Is there a way to save mutliple finds under one 'saved find'?

Hi

I am using Filemaker Pro Advanced 11 on a PC and was wondering if there is a way to save multiple finds under one 'saved find' .  The items I want to save have no data in common so I would have to do separate searches and this occurs at different points of the day but I want to be able to add them to one big pot of 'find'.  Is their a way to do this or do I have to create a script?

To clarify I will give you an example:

I work in a museum and the database we use is to store records of the artefacts we have in the museum.  So what I would like to do is create a saved find based on an exhibition I am putting together.  This want comes from perusing the database and finding a record of an artefact that would be great in the exhibit and in my dreams I would like to add it to a saved find - aka the big pot.  And then a few hours later I might come across another artefact and want to add it as well.  And then at the end of the day, I want to be able to pull that find up with all the random records I stuck into it throughout the day.  Is there a way?

Thanks,

A

• 1. Re: Is there a way to save mutliple finds under one 'saved find'?
          philmodjunk

The simplest way is to mark each record or group of records and then find all that are marked when you are ready to pull them all together.

This could be as simple as adding a check box formatted field to a layout so that you click the check box throughout the day and then perform a find for records with the check box selected when you are ready. A button can also be used to perform a script that marks all the records in a found set when clicked also.

If you have multiple users doing this, you can also set up a related table where each user has their own record to keep different users' selections from getting tangled together. In a text field of that table you can build a list of serial numbers from each record by clicking a button that "selects" it or you can even have one "selection" record created in this table each time the button is clicked--marked with the current user's account name to keep one user's choices separate from another's.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to save mutliple finds under one 'saved find'?
            AlexisJensen

Awesome thank you - very simple.  I will try doing that, thanks so much,

A