2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 4:59 PM by RestaurantCharlie

Is there an easy way to display SQL Select Results

aammondd

Title

Is there an easy way to display SQL Select Results

Im racking my brain for a way in FM to allow for the construction of a SQL statement and display the results independent of table in FM in say table format.

Ive been using sql queries for years  to do data analysis and know that I can technically use a Filemaker File as an ODBC source and it supports sql commands I was just trying to figure out how I would be able to execute a user derived sql statement and have the results display in FM.

Any thoughts?

I know this may be asking a lot of the application but when working on files with lots of tables and data sometimes its simply best to construct the sql to find out where the problem lies. 

• 1. Re: Is there an easy way to display SQL Select Results
          aammondd

a little googling and there are hints at a SQL plugin anyone familiar with one.

• 2. Re: Is there an easy way to display SQL Select Results
            RestaurantCharlie

I run sql queries on two separate odbc compliant databases and display the results in Filemaker.

My experience has been that you NEED a table to save the query to. I have different queries that save to different tables, but you don't necessarily need several tables. You could get away with one table if you organize your fields and your query right.

What I have found that you also need are different layouts to display different reports, unless you don't want pretty displays and just raw table data in which case you could get away with just one layout with a certain number of columns that can have data or be empty.

This is a general response to what I understand as a general question. If you have found any better way of integrating with sql queries please share, for I too believe that SQL is a very effective way to analyze data.