5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2009 9:28 AM by philmodjunk

Is there such a thing as Global Find ?

tobiev

Title

Is there such a thing as Global Find ?

Is there any way to search the entire database , all tables, all relationships, all fields for a keyword. Something like a global find ?

• 1. Re: Is there such a thing as Global Find ?
          Heine_1

hi TobieV!

Yes, indeed there is, but you'll have to do it yourself 

By that I mean that you will have to do your own setup with a script, layouts and TOC's, but indeed it is possible ( I made a working solution myself, for the hospital that I work for ).

/Cheers 

• 2. Re: Is there such a thing as Global Find ?
            tobiev

Thanks for the encouragment, Heine :smileysad:

I have some ideas on doing it manually.

Concat all fields into a single field, then search that field. The overhead of maintaining that is prohibitive.

It just seems a pity that one has to it manually,

Imagine this... Filemaker can not do a Global Find... just does not seem right.

• 3. Re: Is there such a thing as Global Find ?
              Heine_1

Hi, again!

Well, that's just the way things are, FM won't do a global find, natively. That's good for developers, I think. That way, we have to get better and better trying to make FM perform as we would like it to!

You have to look out if you wish to go down the road with your suggestion:

As I see it it will solve your problem to the extend that you can search ALL fields in ONE table at a time, but you will not be able to search other fields in other tables in the same instance.

How is your solution designed ... do you have data and layout in separate tables, or is it all in one file? 

• 4. Re: Is there such a thing as Global Find ?
                tobiev

Thanks for your interest once again.

They are separate tables in a single database with many relationships,

I'll script a search through all of them , one after the other if I ever do this, but I'm not gonna go down that road really. 

Would have saved lots of time if FM could do a global find.

The application will just have to do without a Global Find for now.

Have a nice day now !

• 5. Re: Is there such a thing as Global Find ?
                  philmodjunk
                     If you were to post a specific example of how you would use such a "global" find, we might be able to suggest some methods to cut down on the drudgery of setting up what you want to do.