1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 10:33 PM by user14360

Is there such a things as too many relationships?  (and creating a calendar type thing)

user14360

Title

Is there such a things as too many relationships?  (and creating a calendar type thing)

Hi,

I have a Filemaker Pro 10 file that currently has about 170 relationships.  (Working on Mac, Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced.)

I want to create a view that shows whether a particular day in the quarter has a promotion tagged as being attached to it.

The view would show all the days in a quarter, so 13 weeks in a quarter, therefore 91 days.   Each day would be represented by a mini slither of a box, which would be highlighted if matching up with a promotion date, and would look a bit like a block if there were a number of days in a row that the promotion was running for.

So, I'm enivisioning having 91 relationships between the 'promotion' table and the 'days' table, with there being 91 fields in the days table representing a day of the quarter each, and then each record in the promotion table would have a date range.  The relationship would have be the day from the day table being >= and <= to the day range of the promotion.  Then there would be conditional formatting applied to the 91 fields on the view (which would be formatted to be little slithers), stating "if this relationship is valid" (ie, if there's a promotion falling on this day), then the field would be coloured red.

Can anyone think of another way to do this without having to create 91 relationships?

Cheers,

Hildy. 

1 2 Previous Next