4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2013 9:38 AM by StevenDeNeal

Is this a gltch in the program or in me? (Data missing from field)

StevenDeNeal

Title

Is this a gltch in the program or in me? (Data missing from field)

So, I have a database I am reading from an SQL server that is a mess of raw data. There are three tables for customer information and one table for every journal (sales, receipts, accounts payable, accounts receivables, etc.). Anyway, I am trying to set this up so that I can query a customer's name and come up with past invoices. Here are my relatoinships:

JrnlRow is the table with all the invoices on it... among other things. But the CustomerIndex field is always populated on invoice data and null for the other records. Here is a sample of what this table looks like.

Lots of redundant data. Anyway as you can see, we have done a lot of service for CustomerIndex 1242 as there are multiple invoice numbers associated with this CustomerIndex. Yet, when I create the layout:

Only one invoice number actually appears. I was, of course, expecting a mess of invoices numbers to appear (most of them duplicates that I would have to filter later) but only one ever shows up. This happens no matter which customer I query. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Is this a gltch in the program or in me? (Data missing from field)
          Sorbsbuster

Check the simple things first; are you sure the invoice number field is squarely inside the portal boundaries, with a bit of a margin?

If it's not that a bit more detailed info would be helpful about which TO the layout is based on, and which TO the portal is based on.

• 2. Re: Is this a gltch in the program or in me? (Data missing from field)
            StevenDeNeal

I am made sure the field is square with the portal. I even played with the margins a bit just to make sure so it is not that. Now, I am going to sheepishly expose the depth of my ignorance by saying I don't know what a TO is but I will assume it has something to do with the layout so I will walk you through what I have done there.

That layout is using the Customer's table as it's source. The Customer ID and Current Balance are pulled from that table. The name, address and phone number (the latter two I edited out of the photo for privacy's sake) pull from the address table by its association to the Customer's Table. The portal is pulling from the JrnlRow table to display the Inoive field. The Layout format is using the "Report" template.

• 3. Re: Is this a gltch in the program or in me? (Data missing from field)
              Sorbsbuster

The Table Occurrances (TOs) are the blocks you ceated in the Relationship Graph; ;Address', 'Customers' etc.

Your description sounds correct.  (Did you change the field-name-style from CustomerIndex to CustomerRecord in the Contacts Table?)

Your screenshot has the field in the portal quite tight to the edge of the portal.  Even a pixel the wrong side of the boundary will throw it.

What happens if you add a different value to the portal?

What happens if you create in the Customer Table a calculation:

Count ( JrnlRow::InvoiceNumber )    (return result type 'number') ?

• 4. Re: Is this a gltch in the program or in me? (Data missing from field)
                StevenDeNeal

AH HA!

Ok, after doing a rapid google crash crouse on how to actually do those things, I have indeed found the solution. It was my misunderstanding of the portal boundries. You were correct from the start. I assumed it had to fit in the entire portal window. My calcuation field also lists the number occrances of invoice numbers correctly. That's for teaching me that, btw. Should come in useful in the future. So, it was a glitch in me, not the program. Thanks for your help, bro.