7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 5:36 PM by JoshJay

Is This Possible?  Filemaker Newbie Trying To Run Reports

spinny

Title

Is This Possible?  Filemaker Newbie Trying To Run Reports

Hi All,

I am trying to finish our recruiting database so we can use it next week at recruiting tournaments.  I am wondering if it is possible to set something up like the photo in the link below.

When I am recruiting I am watching 2 teams at the same time.  I would like to be able to select the teams from drop down/popup menu lists at the top of the page and then have the teams populate below.  I would then add notes and ratings to the players before switching fields and also bringing up new teams.

I have posted the photo of what I am trying to achieve on mobileme..

The link is: files.me.com/smithac23/b7kva5 - it is a jpeg file called recruiter

Thanks for your time in reading this and I hope someone can help,

Andy

Edit:  I am a newcomer to Filemaker (3 Days) and I am running MAC OSX 10.6.2 with FMPro Advanced 10

• 1. Re: Is This Possible?  Filemaker Newbie Trying To Run Reports
          JoshJay

You could do this using a Portal and a Relationship based on that portal.

Depending on how you want the database to be structured you might have

• A table that has the Dropdown/Pop up menus (Table1)
          • A table that contains the teams (Table2)
          • A table that conatins the players (Table3)

You would have the Table1 linked to Table2 by the dropdown field matching the team name (or TeamID).  You would have the Table2 linked to Table3 by the team name (or TeamID).  (If this is all you are needing the DB for you could possibly eliminate Table2).

You would then have a layout for Table1 that contains a portal to Table3.  When you select the team from the dropdown list, then the players would populate in the portal.

If you want a second team, create a second dropdown list and create a second relationship (you will have to make a copy in the relationships tab (you don't need a duplicate table) of Table2 and Table3 (or if you don't have a Table2 then just copy Table3)).  You would then link these by the second dropdown list.

I hope this gets you started...

• 2. Re: Is This Possible?  Filemaker Newbie Trying To Run Reports
            spinny

Hi,

I have finally managed to get this working but there is one small glitch.  I have set 2 portals up but for some reason they operate each other.  If I select the Cape May team on the left it will select the same team on the right.  I am guessing I have something wrong with the relationships.  The relationships are as follows

NIT (Data Table)

NITNames1

NITNames2

The portal reads the team names from a drop down box taking the values from NITNames1 and then populates itself from the NIT table.

The second portal reds its team names from NITNames2 and then populates itself from the NIT table.  I have tried creating another self relationship but it still wont let me display 2 teams at once.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Andy

Filemaker Newbie - 8 Days & Counting - MAC OSX 10.6.2

• 3. Re: Is This Possible?  Filemaker Newbie Trying To Run Reports
              JoshJay

I would double check that you have the second portal displaying records from the second relationship...

• 4. Re: Is This Possible?  Filemaker Newbie Trying To Run Reports
                spinny

it still doesnt work for some reason.  I have tried every conceivable way and still I get the same teams from both drop down boxes.  should the relationship be a = relationship (same as)?

Andy 

• 5. Re: Is This Possible?  Filemaker Newbie Trying To Run Reports
                  JoshJay

Just to be clear, I thought I would add the following...

Your relationships should look something like this with Display being the table you'll have the main layout view.  

Team1 will be the field with the 1st drop down, Team 2 will be the field with the 2nd drop down.  The Players table will contain the players with their teams and a spot for notes.  You'll make a copy (2nd occurence) of the Players table in the Relationships area.  To make this copy select the table in Relationships tab then select the button that looks like two ++ next to each other.  It should then make the second copy and then you will link the Team2 field to the 2nd occurence.

Let me know if you already tried this...

• 6. Re: Is This Possible?  Filemaker Newbie Trying To Run Reports
                    spinny

thank you so much for your help.  i got there in the end :)

much appreciated,

andy

• 7. Re: Is This Possible?  Filemaker Newbie Trying To Run Reports
                      JoshJay

No problem.  Glad I could help!