4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 2:52 PM by philmodjunk

IsEmpty Function

rtolliver

Title

IsEmpty Function

I'm looking for help in identifying the correct FM function or procedure that is the equivalent to the Access 2010 (NZ Function) Example; the NZ(FieldName.value,0) function evaluates FieldName for null and if true returns 0. 

I have FM four fields that are part of a sum calculation and I'd like to test each field and provide a 0 for the calculation if the tested field IsNull.

I'm not quite a newbie, but I've been away from FM for a while and any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: IsEmpty Function
          RickWhitelaw

IsEmpty will return 1 if the field is empty and 0 if the field is not empty.

• 2. Re: IsEmpty Function
            philmodjunk

So to reverse the values, use:

Not IsEmpty ( Table::Field )

• 3. Re: IsEmpty Function
              rtolliver

IsEmpty returns a boolean value and that value can not be used in a calculation.  What I'm looking for is a function that will first verify if a field is empty and if it is then set the field value to Zero. As it stands, to accomplish what I need my FM script looks something like; If(IsEmpty(Field_A), Set Field[Testing::Field_A; 0]) for the four fields used in my sum calculation.

Example: Sum(If(IsEmpty(Field_A), Set Field[Testing::Field_A; 0]);If(IsEmpty(Field_B), Set Field[Testing::Field_B; 0]);If(IsEmpty(Field_C), Set Field[Testing::Field_C; 0]);If(IsEmpty(Field_D), Set Field[Testing::Field_D; 0]))

Basically I'm looking for help finding a way to write a cleaner script if that's possible.

Thanks

• 4. Re: IsEmpty Function
                philmodjunk

IsEmpty returns a boolean value and that value can not be used in a calculation.

That is not correct. Boolean values in Filemaker evaluate as 1 for true and 0 for False.

I frequently include Boolean expressions in arithmetic calculations in FileMaker.