3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2013 9:55 AM by philmodjunk

isolate a field in a layout

FeldyNYC

Title

isolate a field in a layout

i have a radio field with four options: for sale, inventory, sold and in collection.  How could I create a layout where i can JUST see what I have FOR SALE for example or just what I have in inventory?  Thanks.

Feldy

• 1. Re: isolate a field in a layout
          philmodjunk

Option 1:

Perform a find specifying one of these radio button options as find criteria. The resulting found set will only list records matching that option.

Option 2:

Define a new field and give it the same value list and radio button format. Define a self join relationship using this new field and your original field as match fields. Put a portal to the resulting new Table occurrence on your layout. When you select an option in that new field, the portal only lists records with that option selected in the original field.

• 2. Re: isolate a field in a layout
            FeldyNYC

Phil, 

Thank you.  i was able to accomplish the first option.  I am not that filemaker savvy to do the second one!   I made a new table and then made a relationship between availability field in one table and availability in another field.  I put in a portal, but nothing showed up and I am unclear as to how I accomplish this.  Sorry about that!  

Feldy

• 3. Re: isolate a field in a layout
              philmodjunk

A self join relationship does not require creating a new table on the Tables tab in Manage | Database. It links a table with itself. You do that by creating a new Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? box for the same table on the relationships tab.