2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 6:43 AM by dstojak2

Issue Importing From Text File

dstojak2

Title

Issue Importing From Text File

I am experiencing an issue when importing data from a text file into FileMaker.  An error occurs each time I attempt to import saying the disk is full (error 809).  The text file is a large file, a little over 1 GB.  I also noticed that the available hard drive space goes down signficantly during the import, by at least 6 GB if not more.  I've watched the hard drive space get to as low as 250 MB which leads me to believe the drive runs out of space before the import has completed.  Has anyone experienced this issue before?  Will increasing hard drive space solve the issue or could it be something else?  Are there any other options besides increasing hard drive space?

I am running the import on a local file using FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced on Windows in case that is helpful.  Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Issue Importing From Text File
          philmodjunk

I did find a reference in Known Bugs to a source file size limitation when importing, but it's 4 GB, not 1. I think you need to try this on a drive with more capacity, a flashdrive is all you need for this, and see what happens then.

For More Information see:     Import of a large CSV file halts after 4GB

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

• 2. Re: Issue Importing From Text File
            dstojak2

Another thing I forgot to mention was that FileMaker Pro Advanced is installed on the C: drive but the FileMaker file and imported file are on a separate drive.  The C: drive is the drive that has less and less free space as the import runs.  After the import is done the C: drive has most if not all of the hard drive space back.  Seems like there is some kind of temporary storage going on during the import.  

The import works fine when run on a Mac with plenty of hard drive space.  Just wanted to be sure this couldn't be some kind of problem with running the import on Windows and that more hard drive space will fix it.  Thanks for your help.