7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2012 3:51 PM by philmodjunk

Issue with portals in Starter Solution: Invoices

FranciscoS

Title

Issue with portals in Starter Solution: Invoices

Hi y'all,

My company uses a slightly modified version of the "Invoice Details" layout that is within the Invoices Starter Solution. The current issue I have been assigned to correct is regarding the use of portals in that invoice. Though I am a novice, I will do my best to describe my situation.

The practice (since before I came to the company) has been to just fill out the rows of the portal with a description of the item being purchased and the price. The only two fields from records that the portal shows are "Item" and "Unit Price". Both of these fields are filled out manually. The issues we are facing are regarding printing:
      - Sometimes the information in "Item" gets cut off during printing, as these tend to be rather verbose and wordy descriptions (for clarity with customers)
      - More often than not, we have more than 10 records that need to be shown within the portal, meaning that some information gets cut off and we need to make another invoice entirely, just for 2 or 3 items.

Example:

1) ITEM 1, ITEM 2, ITEM 3 WITH ACCESSORY     |   $129.00

What alternatives are there to using portals? What do you all suggest?

We just need an area that has the Item's name and the Price (ideally, all of these values would continued to be tallied up in the "Discount", "Subtotal", etc., fields). My familiarity with FMP is so limited that I have almost no idea of what else I can do, other than creating a whole bunch of fields!

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and help!

• 1. Re: Issue with portals in Starter Solution: Invoices
          philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker was current when your company adapted the starter solution?

Current versions of the invoices starter solution do not print from a layout with a portal. They print from a list view layout based on the lineitems table--the table on which the portal is based.

This allows for printing any number of lineitems for a given invoice.

If you find there is more text in the description field than will show during printing, you'd go to the invoice print layout--the one based on the lineitems table, make the description field taller, but then set the field (all all layout objects in the body that might be found below it, to "Sldie up", "resize enclosing part".

• 2. Re: Issue with portals in Starter Solution: Invoices
            FranciscoS

The version is FileMaker Pro 12 - there was a decision a few months ago to swap from Excel-based invoices to FileMaker-based.

It seems as though when we print the invoice, it literally prints what is within the main page margins - does that make sense?  Below are two pictures of what I see when I swap to the Preview mode. The ifirst is from the Starter Solution Invoice, not modified at all.

What prints with the basic layout

This is the modified version, which the company is currently using:

What prints with the customized layout

Given these images, PhilModJunk, is your recommendation still the same, to "make the description field taller, but then set the field (all all layout objects in the body that might be found below it, to "Sldie up", "resize enclosing part"."?

Thanks!!!!

• 3. Re: Issue with portals in Starter Solution: Invoices
              philmodjunk

You are printing from the wrong layout.

Instead of printing from Invoice Details, a layout not intended for printing. Click the Print Invoice button. This button will switch to a different layout based on Invoice Data where the layout is set up as I described earlier and prints from there.

• 4. Re: Issue with portals in Starter Solution: Invoices
                FranciscoS

HAHAHA    (now I feel like a fool/total newbie...which I am!)

For some reason, my Print Invoice button doesn't link to the Print/Send Invoice layout, even though the scripts look good? (Neither the Starter Solution nor the customized version do.)

I double-click the button to access the Button Setup window. "Perform Script" is highlighted. Under "Current Script", the drop-down menu is on "Pause".

When I click "Specify", the "Specify Script" window appears; "Print Invoice" is highlighted. I click edit, and this is what appears:

picture of Print Invoice Edit Script window

Is there something wrong with this script? Why do you think that it is not linking to the correct layout?

Again, your help is greatly appreciated.

• 5. Re: Issue with portals in Starter Solution: Invoices
                  philmodjunk

Were there any line items in the portal when you clicked the button?

The script will do nothing when the portal is empty. That's what the If [Get (lastError )... part of the script does.

• 6. Re: Issue with portals in Starter Solution: Invoices
                    FranciscoS

PhilModJunk,

When I went to manage my layouts and checked Print/Send Invoices to be included on Layout menus, it suddenly began to work.

Is that standard functionality, or is there still some sort of irregularity occurring here?

Orrrr was it just that I was indeed working with records that had empty portals (as I just now realized)?

I am beginning to really realized that I need to learn how to use scripts better

• 7. Re: Issue with portals in Starter Solution: Invoices
                      philmodjunk

I can't see anyway that could have any effect on how this script works. The scripts don't care whether a layout is visible in that menu or not.

It's the latter as I have already explained.