1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 18, 2008 1:21 PM by TSGal

Issue with summary fields for found set

samxli

Title

Issue with summary fields for found set

I have a layout that shows the the enrollment information and also marital status of active members in my club.

(The marital status is stored within a "Members" table and the field "marital_status" contains 1 if the member is married, 0 if single.)

Usually, this layout is used with a script that is executed to perform a find of all active members in a given year.

I would like it so that it can sum the total number of married members within the found set. My approach is to have a summary field in the footer that will add up the 1's.

The problem I am running to is that I am not sure how to implement this summary field. The Layout Setup is set so that the layout is showing records from a table called "EnrollmendData". Each row pulls the marital status field from the related table: "Members".

When trying to create a summary field. It does not allow me to sum from outside tables. But I need to do this since the marital data is pulled from "Members".

What should I do to implement this summary field? 

• 1. Re: Issue with summary fields for found set
          TSGal

samxii:

Thank you for your post.

In your "EnrollmentData" table, you probably have a layout that has a portal into your "Members" table.  In your "EnrollmentData" table, create a calculation field, "SumMembers", with the formula: Sum (Members::Marital Status)

This will sum/add the related "Members" records for each "EnrollmentData" record.  Then, you can use a Summary field to sum/add the "SumMembers" field.

If you need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.