7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2013 11:02 AM by philmodjunk

Issues opening remote FP7 file from FMPro13

SimonCasagrande

Title

Issues opening remote FP7 file from FMPro13

I am running a remote FP7 file on my host server and my business currently has about 6 versions of FMPro11 connecting to it without issues.

Today I purchased FMPro13 for a new employee and put it on their machine, and having issues connecting to the remote FP7 file now.  I have forwarded port 5003 to the server and manually typed out the network path, both without success.  All FMPro11 machines can see it without issue.

If I was to assume what the issue is I would say it's that FMPro13 isn't backward compatible with FP7 files hosted remotely which is a massive issue for me as I obviously won't be able to load the upgraded FP12 file remotely from the FMPro11 machines? 

It just seems weird that this isn't able to work unless I am doing something wrong?

• 1. Re: Issues opening remote FP7 file from FMPro13
          gcatnine

you cannot open an fp7 file with FMP 12 or 13 versions.

you must convert the file first into the new fmp12 format.

So, at the end, you cannot have a network with a a mix of FMP11 and FMP12 or FMP13.

• 2. Re: Issues opening remote FP7 file from FMPro13
            philmodjunk

Contact Customer Service directly and see if they will sell you a "downgrade" install of FileMaker 11.

• 3. Re: Issues opening remote FP7 file from FMPro13
              SimonCasagrande

I still have my Filemaker 11 installer for when I need to reinstall it on other machines.  Very frustrating indeed :|  I would have thought at least even the serial numbers would be backward compatible, can't even use the FMPro13 key on an FMPro11 install.

• 4. Re: Issues opening remote FP7 file from FMPro13
                blewvelvet

Best not to upgrade past FMPro 11....until they allow version 13 and newer copies host to other machines NOT running 12 or 13.

Especially... if you are in an office and run other machines that have 9 10 or 11 versions installed..and you decide to update your host machine to 12 or 13....which means it's very costly to upgrade every machine to vs. 12 or 13 just so your host machine can run 12 or 13.

Unless, of course..they've fixed this issue where your host machine is running a 12+ version and all your other child machines are running lower versions.

Otherwise..it's not happening in this office.

• 5. Re: Issues opening remote FP7 file from FMPro13
                  philmodjunk

Best not to upgrade past FMPro 11....until they allow version 13 and newer copies host to other machines NOT running 12 or 13.

Then my prediction is that you will never upgrade. FileMaker 12 and 13 bring in new features that (apparently) were not possible without changing the file format. The difference in file formats are what keep this from working and I can't really see FileMaker Inc. adding support for connections to files of the older format.

That's just my opinion based on publicly available info and FileMaker's past history. It's not the "official word" or based on any kind of "inside information".

• 6. Re: Issues opening remote FP7 file from FMPro13
                    blewvelvet

Yes..but why can't lower versions have a fix so that it can at least see the data on the host computer? All users don't need the new features..they just need to access the data that's already there.

• 7. Re: Issues opening remote FP7 file from FMPro13
                      philmodjunk

The difference in file formats would make that difficult to do it's more than a case of not using new features the very structure of the files are different.

You are basically asking FileMaker to reduce the number of upgrades people need to buy (a major revenue source) by spending resources to produce that result. That's not something that I would expect FileMaker to be willing to do.