2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 7:55 PM by thezed

Issues with a loop script

thezed

Title

Issues with a loop script

Hi, I am a newbie with FM and am trying to get a Loop script working. 

My first table, Sales Invoices, contains all the invoices, each of them with a field Job Number (each invoice is indeed linked to a Job). There can be several invoices per Job Number. My second table, Job Numbers, contains all the jobs. In this table, i would like to add a field that gives the total amount invoiced per Job Number. 

I have named this field Total_Invoiced and set its value to Calculation '=$$Sum', ie the result of the below script). But nothing happens....

Set Variable [$$JN; Value:GetField (Job Numbers::Job Number)]

Set Variable [$$Sum; Value:0]

Go to Layout ["Sales Invoices" (Sales Invoices)]

Go to Record/Request/Page [First]

Loop

If [Sales Invoices::Job_Number = $$JN]

Set Variable [$$Sum; Value:$$Sum + Sales Invoices::Amount USD

Go to Record/Request/Page [Next; Exit after last]

Else

Go to Record/Request/Page [Next; Exit after last]

End If

End Loop

Go to Layout [original layout]

Thanks for your help! 

• 1. Re: Issues with a loop script
          ninja

Howdy thezed,

Thanks for the post.

Out of my curious brain...is there a reason you want to do this in a script instead of just making the Jobs::TotalInvoiced field a calculation field of "Sum(Sales Invoices::AmountUSD)"

You could have a portal in your Jobs table with Invoices and Amounts in the portal.  Then have a Calculation field on the layout with total amount invoiced.  No script needed.

++++++++++++

If there's another reason why you must have a script...note that I don't see anywhere in your script where you use the $$SUM variable to do anything.  You haven't said:  SetField[JobNumbers::TotalInvoiced;$$Sum] anywhere in the script.  You calculated what you wanted...but didn't park it anywhere on the record, just in the script variable that will be overwritten on the next loop through.

• 2. Re: Issues with a loop script
            thezed

Thanks Ninja, quite easier with your solution!

As for what I needed a script, I guess it is simply because I just discovered FM and didn't know it was so easy to use!

Thanks again,

Z.