2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2012 2:22 PM by DawnByington

    Issues with Find Mode



      Issues with Find Mode


           We have a database of clients and applicants. We are a recruiting agency. After upgrading to FM 11 we noticed that when we enter find mode and enter a criteria from a field it only brings back a small portion to the find set.


           For example. In one database a recruiter searched for all the records under her name. It brought back 7. But when I sorted the entier database by recruiter nameit showed that she had 143.


           I can't figure out why it is doing this and I NEED to figure out how to fix it


           Thank you




        • 1. Re: Issues with Find Mode

               Can you post a more detailed description of exactly how this find is set up and performed?

               Sometimes, a find that doesn't produce the expected results is due to a problem with a field's index and that would fit what you are describing here though it is not the only explanation.

               To rebuild the index of a single field:

          1.           Open Manage | Database | Fields and double click the field
          3.           Use either the storage tab or the storage options button to turn off indexing.
          5.           Exit Manage | Database, then return and turn indexing back on.


               You can also rebuild all your file's indexes by importing all the data into an empty copy (clone) of your file.

               If you have FileMaker 11 or newer, you can use Advanced Recovery options to rebuild your file's indexes:

          1.           With the file closed, select Recover from the File Menu.
          3.           Select "Use advanced Options"
          5.           Select only: "Copy File Blocks as-is" and "Rebuild Field Indexes Now".
          • 2. Re: Issues with Find Mode

                 Thank you Phil

                 I tried the indexing thing. But it didn't work and I didn't want to rebuild the files. So I thought a min more and realized that over the years people have been editing and re-typing the recruiters names into the field. so instead of it just being a drop down box I allowed entry into the field and allowed people to just type their last name and voila! it worked!


                 Thanks for you help