5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2015 9:26 AM by fkby

Issues with multiple file solution working remotely

fkby

Title

Issues with multiple file solution working remotely

I'm a newbie to FM database development so patience please :). I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I have a solution (Boatyard management) that consists of several FM databases - customers, boats, work orders, employees, etc. Initially, I went with the multiple files since I could enter data and track projects while at the same time continue to add more features without risking the sections that were actively being used.  It's a small company and I do a lot of multitasking.  Everything is working fairly well, but now we want to access the solution from multiple locations. On the "server", I open all the files locally.  I  do this with an "open" with the hidden option selected but they still all appear so that's problem 1.  From the remote location, I do an open remote on the primary file that has buttons that each remotely open the other files when needed. I'm thinking that the open remote file should do a remote open on every file possibly needed by the remote user.  Nothing has crashed yet, but I'm just waiting for it to happen. Do I need to change every reference to other files to an open remote i.e. open related record?  How does that affect the local copy?  Have I created problems?  Should I step back and integrate all the pieces into one file? 

• 1. Re: Issues with multiple file solution working remotely
          philmodjunk

Using the Open File script step with the "hidden" option only affects what is seen by the current user when this script is performed. It does not affect what files are visible in the Open Remote dialog. To hide files from that dialog, do the following:

Open Sharing with the files in question already open. In fileMaker 13, you can select "share with filemaker clients" in the "share" icon at the top of the screen. In this dialog, click to select a file that you want hidden in this way and click the option to "don't display in open remote dialog".

On the computer that hosts your database, you need to have all of these files open by the hosting application, either FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server at all times when a user might need to access the database. Only those users will need to use "open remote" to open the files.

• 2. Re: Issues with multiple file solution working remotely
            fkby

Thanks for the quick answer.  When I opened a files with the "hidden" option, the files weren't hidden for the current user. Is there something I'm doing wrong? (I want all the files open for the remote user, but I don't necessarily want to see them on the host.)  

• 3. Re: Issues with multiple file solution working remotely
              philmodjunk

This shouldn't be a problem if you use the method describe to hide the additional files from the Open Remote dialog.

• 4. Re: Issues with multiple file solution working remotely
                fkby

I've noticed that some files are opening but are hidden, and other files are opening but not hidden.  They are all being opened identically.  Is there a setting that could keep them from being hidden?

• 5. Re: Issues with multiple file solution working remotely
                  fkby

Got it!  In the individual files, I have an open script for each file.  I deleted the line for moving/resizing the window and the window remains hidden.  This line is in some of the open scripts of the files that remain hidden so it may be more involved than that, but for the moment it has resolved this issue.