AnsweredAssumed Answered

Issues with multiple file solution working remotely

Question asked by fkby on Mar 13, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 13, 2015 by fkby

Title

Issues with multiple file solution working remotely

I'm a newbie to FM database development so patience please :). I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I have a solution (Boatyard management) that consists of several FM databases - customers, boats, work orders, employees, etc. Initially, I went with the multiple files since I could enter data and track projects while at the same time continue to add more features without risking the sections that were actively being used.  It's a small company and I do a lot of multitasking.  Everything is working fairly well, but now we want to access the solution from multiple locations. On the "server", I open all the files locally.  I  do this with an "open" with the hidden option selected but they still all appear so that's problem 1.  From the remote location, I do an open remote on the primary file that has buttons that each remotely open the other files when needed. I'm thinking that the open remote file should do a remote open on every file possibly needed by the remote user.  Nothing has crashed yet, but I'm just waiting for it to happen. Do I need to change every reference to other files to an open remote i.e. open related record?  How does that affect the local copy?  Have I created problems?  Should I step back and integrate all the pieces into one file? 

Outcomes