2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2011 9:25 AM by philmodjunk

It's Been Forever, I Need Help Displaying Multiple Tables on a Form

JessicaRyles

Title

It's Been Forever, I Need Help Displaying Multiple Tables on a Form

I've used Access to create a couple databases, nothing terribly complex, and would like to do the same with File Maker.  At the moment I'm working on a database for my company.  I'm working on displaying a contact management form.  I have one table for contacts with the contact ID, and then fields like first, last, etc.  And then I have another table for phones (since someone can have more than one phone) with phone_id, contact_id, phone type and phone #.  I have a relationship created between the contact ids in both tables.  So then on my contact form, how do I get it to display a field for the phone, so that I can input the phone types and phone numbers.  

Seriously this is like the most basic thing ever, and I can't believe I've forgotten how to do this.  Could someone walk me through in baby-steps, cause obviously I've forgotten something major, and I don't know what that is.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: It's Been Forever, I Need Help Displaying Multiple Tables on a Form
          casey777

In your phone number table occurence, do you have a calculation inserting the id into that field? You should have a layout for phone numbers from the phone numbers table. Is there an id number showing when you look through the phone number records? If not, you need to put one there via a calculation.

Personal comment: Unless you expect to have many phone numbers for the same person, I would have kept the phone numbers together in the same table with name and address fields. Related tables are most often used in contact management for companies, where two or more of your contact may work for the same company. You also can use related tables for notes, invoices, and many other items.

• 2. Re: It's Been Forever, I Need Help Displaying Multiple Tables on a Form
            philmodjunk

I always use a related table for phone numbers. These days, a contact can have quite a few. I often include email addresses in the same table.

In MS Access they have things called "sub forms" and "sub reports" for displaying multiple related records on a form or report. In FileMaker, we have something called a portal for displaying multiple related records on a layout. That's the tool you'll need here so you can list multiple phone numbers for the same contact record.