One very simple approach you might use:
- Make sure that your container field is set to use a transparent fill pattern. (That is often the default, but make sure.)
- Place layout text such as "Image Missing" behind the container field. (The position tab of the inspector can be used to change which layout object is in front and which is in back.)
- When there is no image in the container, the user will see the text.
A more sophisticated approach you can use if you want to display an actual image when the container field is empty would work like this:
- Define a global container field and insert your "image missing" image into it.
Define this calculation field:
- If (IsEmpty ( ContainerField ) ; MissingImageContainerField ; ContainerField )
- Select "Container" as the calculation's return type and place this field on your report layout in place of the original container field.
Can you elaborate on the calculation if you want to fill the image container based on multiple categories? For example Instead of 1 default image, having multiple fields containing the category image and filling the default image.
If is empty + category=shirts ; missing ; containtshirts
If is empty + category=pants ; missing ; containtpants