7 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 9:01 AM by NaturSalus

Iterative data on the same layout

NaturSalus

Title

Iterative data on the same layout

Hello,

In my project, I need to use the same type of information several times on the same layout but with different purposes. And although I have found an unproductive way to do it (duplicating the same information on different tables) I would like to find out a more efficient approach.

I have a database where I control different type of documents.

I will focus my question on just one document type: Procedure

In the Procedure layout I have several tabs some of them with portals that ideally should take some of the information from a unique table (People), although they don't to make it work.

In the Appraisal Tab there is a portal to the Appraiser/Procedure (joint table) that is connected to the Appraisers table.

Appraisers -> Appraisesr/Procedure <- Procedure

In the Users Tab there is a portal to the Users/Procedure (joint table) that is connected to the Users table.

Users -> Users/Procedure <- Procedure

In the Points of Use  Tab there is a portal to the Points of Use/Procedure (joint table) that is connected to the Points of Use table.

Points of Use -> Points of Use/Procedure <- Procedure

In the Archival Tab  there is a portal to the Archival/Procedure (joint table) that is connected to the Archival table.

Archival -> Archival/Procedure <- Procedure

In all these diffferent tabs I always need the same type of information (persons' names, job titles, departments, emails), although the actual information can be the same or different in each case.

In the same layout I need to put people's information repeatedly, althgough in each case it has a different meaning.

The same person can act as an apprasier, documet user, responsible of document control in a point of use, and be responsible for document archival. In fact all combinations of peoples' roles are possible and in some cases several people intervene to carry out something relatted to document control.

Ideally I would like to have a People table with the following information:

Full Name

Job Title

Department

Email

And be able to use its information, as needed, several times on the same layout but with different purposes.

Is there a smart way of doing it other than duplicating the same information on different tables?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Iterative data on the same layout
          philmodjunk

Use one data source table for People, but then use multiple table occurrences of this one table in different parts of Manage | Database | Relationships so that you can get different relationships and link the data to different table occurrences so that the data is available to your different portal records.

"Table Occurrences" are the "boxes" on your relationship graph in Manage | Database | Relationships and they are also listed down the right hand side of the Tables tab. Data Source tables are the actual tables listed on the left hand side fo the Tables tab and are also what are listed in the tables drop down on the fields tab.

Here's a limited example of what I am describing.

You have:

Appraisers---<AppraiserProcedure>-----Procedures

Make that:

AppraiserPeople---Appraisers---<AppraiserProcedure>---Procedures

Where AppraiserPeople is a table occurrence of your People table occurrence.

In like manner you can do this:

UserPeople---Users---<UserProcedure>---Procedures

To make additional table occurrences of an existing table occurrence, select it, then click the button with two green plus signs to make a copy of the same occurrence. You can double click this box to give it a more descriptive name.

Here's a tutorial on TableOccurrences you may find useful: 

Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

• 2. Re: Iterative data on the same layout
            NaturSalus

Hello Phil

Thanks for answering, this one is really important for me to understand it right.

Use one data source table for People, but then use multiple table occurrences

Okay, what I understand is to create the People table and then as many TOs as needed and use these TOs in the relationships but not the People TO itself.

For example, if I want to use the People table as the data source for the following 4 portals: Appraisers; Users, Points of Use, Archival

I should generate 4 People TOs; for example: People 2(AppraisersPeople), People 3 (UsersPeople), People 4 (PointsofUsePeople), People 5 (ArchivalPeople)

Is this what you are saying?

Make that:

AppraiserPeople---Appraisers---<AppraiserProcedure>---Procedures

Sorry but I am not quite sure that I understand the relationships to be established between the TOs.

Do you mean that:

instead of the relationship: Appraisers -> AppraisersProcedure <- Procedures, that I was using

I should establish the following relationship: People 2(AppraisersPeople) -> AppraisersProcedure <- Procedures?

I mean, AppraiserPeople---Appraisers--- denotes the People 2(AppraisersPeople) TO?

If this is so, then the People TO is on its own and it is not used directly to establish any relationship to the Procedures or AppraiserProcedure (joint table)?

Being able to achieve what I want just with the TOs of the People table alleviates my work enormously and makes possible many improvements in my project.

Thanks again for your help

• 3. Re: Iterative data on the same layout
              philmodjunk

You've got the basic idea.

"what I understand is to create the People table and then as many TOs as needed and use these TOs in the relationships but not the People TO itself."

You can certainly use the People TO if you want. I just chose not to in my example so that I could descriptive TO names.

In my notation, each name is a separate TO. >---- means many to one, ---- means one to one. I described simply linking a TO of People to your existing set of TO's. Since each Appraiser record represents one person as I understand it, I just showed linking a TO of people to it in a one to one replationship with that table. Depending on what you have in the appraiser and user tables, you might even be able to replace them with the People TO. Since I don't know all the details, I didn't do that in order to be sure what I suggested worked correctly.

Since Relationship graphs can easily become messy "spider webs", here's an article on a method for keeping them better organized and thus easier to work with: 

http://sixfriedrice.com/wp/six-fried-rice-methodology-part-2-anchor-buoy-and-data-structures/

• 4. Re: Iterative data on the same layout
                NaturSalus

Since each Appraiser record represents one person as I understand it, I just showed linking a TO of people to it in a one to one replationship with that table.

Yes in my table Appraisers each record represents one person, but since that is obvious it is clear that you mean something else that I didn't get.

Depending on what you have in the appraiser and user tables, you might even be able to replace them with the People TO.

Let me explain it better.

In the Procedure layout there are several tabs with portals that get data from: Appraisers, Users, Points of Use, and Archivists TOs.

The Appraisers Tab contains a Portal to AppraisersProcedure with the following fields:

Action (three possibilities: Originated by, Reviewed by, Approved by)

Appraiser Full Name

Appraiser Job Title

Appraiser Department

Appraiser Email

When the user gets into the portal to AppraisersProcedure, he/she selects the Action Originated by (derived from a custom value list), goes to to Appraiser Full Name and as it is empty clicks into the Appraiser button that takes him into the Appraiser table where he enters the data for the appraiser.

Then goes back to the the portal to AppraisersProcedure in the Prodedure layout.

Then the user selects the Action: Reviewed by and follows the same process.

If there are more than one reviewer the ,selects the Action: Reviewd by and follows the same process.

Once all the reviewers have been entered, the user selects the Action: Approved by and follows the same process.

So, in the Appraisers portal there could be from a minimum of 3 people to many.

Once I have some appraisers entered into the Appraisers table, I just can select them directly form the portal to AppraiserProcedure

The same process applies to all the portals on the Procedures layout. And in all those portals there are many people listed.

I described simply linking a TO of People to your existing set of TO's

But since having Appraisers, Users, Points of Use, Archivists tables is redundant, shouldn't I replace their TOs with People TO, as you suggested?

Bear this one with me.

If what I said makes any sense to you, then what are the relationships that I should be using?

Perhaps:

AppraiserPeople (People)---<AppraiserProcedure>---Procedures

UserPeople (People2) ---<UserPeopleProcedure>---Procedures

PointofUsePeople (People3) ---<PointofUsePeopleProcedure>---Procedures

ArchivistPeople (People4) ---<ArchivisPeopleProcedure>---Procedures

or

People not related to any TO

AppraiserPeople (People2)---<AppraiserProcedure>---Procedures

UserPeople (People3) ---<UserPeopleProcedure>---Procedures

PointofUsePeople (People4) ---<PointofUsePeopleProcedure>---Procedures

ArchivistPeople (People5) ---<ArchivisPeopleProcedure>---Procedures

or

somethingelse that I haven't got yet?

Thanks for your patience

• 5. Re: Iterative data on the same layout
                  philmodjunk

The more I think about this, yes. You can and should replace the Appraiser, user etc. tables with TO's of the People table.

YOur first two examples are functionally identical. They really should read like this:

UserPeople (People) ---<UserPeopleProcedure>---Procedures

PointofUsePeople (People) ---<PointofUsePeopleProcedure>---Procedures

ArchivistPeople (People) ---<ArchivisPeopleProcedure>---Procedures

When you hover the mouse over the arrow in the upper left corner, the same data source table name, People, should pop up for all the lefthand table occurrences.

Now if you really want your head to hurt, consider that the 4 join tables shown here could also be replaced by a single data source table if you wanted to by either using filtered portals or filtered relationships so that different portals to the same join table can list just appraisers or just users or... This would give you the ability to list all personnel connected to a specific Procedure record in a summary report, but grouped by the category (appraiser, user, point of use, etc) into which they were placed.

• 6. Re: Iterative data on the same layout
                    NaturSalus

They really should read like this:

UserPeople (People) ---<UserPeopleProcedure>---Procedures

PointofUsePeople (People) ---<PointofUsePeopleProcedure>---Procedures

ArchivistPeople (People) ---<ArchivisPeopleProcedure>---Procedures

When you hover the mouse over the arrow in the upper left corner, the same data source table name, People, should pop up for all the lefthand table occurrences.

Okay I`ll try and I will get back with the result.

Now if you really want your head to hurt, consider that the 4 join tables shown here could also be replaced by a single data source table if you wanted to by either using filtered portals or filtered relationships so that different portals to the same join table can list just appraisers or just users or... This would give you the ability to list all personnel connected to a specific Procedure record in a summary report, but grouped by the category (appraiser, user, point of use, etc) into which they were placed.

What a teaser Smile

I am just learning the ropes. But maybe in one month I´ll be ready for this.

Really many thanks for your help.

Your feed back is a real luxury 

• 7. Re: Iterative data on the same layout
                      NaturSalus

Hello Phil

Everything working smoothly.

Many thanks