AnsweredAssumed Answered

iTunes-like search facility

Question asked by Vettura on Feb 9, 2009
Latest reply on Feb 9, 2009 by Vettura

Title

iTunes-like search facility

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been asked many times before but searching the forum I have only found answers that touch the surface of what I'm looking for.

What I'm trying to create is a dynamic search, similar to an iTunes search.

I have 3 fields; an airport name, an IATA 3-letter code and an ICAO 4-letter code. I can filter on any of these fields individually, from a list of around 9,500 airports.

I also have a calculation field which cacatenates these 3 fields into a text string, this field is then used as the value list in an airport lookup field.

When you type into this lookup field the value list works fine, narrowing down the list offered as you type. However, the moment you pause, the filtering process stops and you have to type from the beginning again,

e.g. searching for Luton airport, I type LU, you get the value list narrowing down the choices nicely, but pause and then type T changes the list back to choices beginning with T while the LU string previously entered disappears.

Is there a way of containing the search so as you type each letter in the search field, with or without pausing, the filtering continues where you left off as you continue to type...like in iTunes?

Hope I explained that clearly enough.

Richard

Outcomes