1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 1:50 PM by TSGal

IWP - connection issues, losing connection once on

bridesrus

Title

IWP - connection issues, losing connection once on

I have been working on this for 3 weeks without a solution. Would appreciate any help. Have talked with internet provider, Filemaker and Apple. Here is what I have:

Working with a iMac, OS 10.5.8, Filemaker Pro 10, working with a database that has multiply relationships. I have a static IP address. My programer has created a web table for outside users. Using 591 as the port. Have set up IWP and have the web table access set. I have talked to Filemaker and everything is set up properly. My network is set property according to Apple (IP Address is internal static ip, submask is correct, and router is set to my comcast SMG router). Apple firewall allows incoming connections from fmiwppf, FM web publishing, FileMaker Pro. Windows Internet Explorer is used by my sales staff.

I am hosting the database, my sale staff need to log onto my computer to access my database. They type in my static ip plus the 591 port (xxx.xx.xxx.xxx:591) to access the IWP page and the Web Table folder.

THE PROBLEM: Some times we are able to connect and get the IWP home page and log in and use the Web Table. When this happens, usually within 5 minutes if not sooner we lose connection and get "cannot find the web page" My default time for IWP is set for 60 minutes so this should not happen. BUT more often than not we cannot even get into IWP to log on. I will try a couple of times, still not IWP page, then 5 or 10 minutes later, we get it. Once on, we don't stay.

I have replaced my web.prefs. My network prefs. Shut down the computers, SMG modem and then restarted. Usually we can get into the IWP page, log in and then again within the 5 minutes or so, knocked off.

Also when we do get on, IWP is sluggish, takes more time than I am used to when working on database direct.

Needless to say I am at a lose and would appreciate any help.

• 1. Re: IWP - connection issues, losing connection once on
          TSGal

bridesrus:

Thank you for your post.

If you get to the Instant Web Publishing Home page, then the network is working correctly.  Since the browsers are also using port 80 to access the internet, what occurs when the port is changed from 591 to port 80 (the default)?

From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like your local network is not always active.  Otherwise, users would be able to log on and stay with the file.  Besides FileMaker Pro running on your web server, are there any other web applications running?  If so, do web users encounter the same problem?

Have you tried another machine?

Do you have access to another machine with a different static IP that is not on your local network?  If so, can you try it there?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.